Author Topic: pulling bullets  (Read 820 times)

Offline Empty Quiver

• Trade Count: (0)
pulling bullets
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Just pulled 50 rounds apart for the first time. I decided shooting them up was plain stupid as there was about $70 worth of materials tied up. Wasn't really happy with the powder I had used, and had found a better home for it.

Well, I'm no longer concerned about the bullets "falling" out. My danged arm is sore from all the hammering.  :-X  I figured a couple smart raps and all would be done... not hardly. Is about fifteen very smart whacks about right? Twenty was quite common to be honest. The things would not move at all till I started pounding on the concrete floor, I was afraid of damaging the formica top on the reloading bench. These were 300 win mag and 180g bullets.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Re: pulling bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:31:13 PM »
Crimped the daylights out of them didn't you....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Hello Empty Quiver..Thought that was bad..try pulling little 45gr. .22 Hornet bullets..There is just no weight there!  Worst though are crimped .38 spec. wadcutters.

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:50:21 PM »
Some years back after unloading hundreds of bullets with a hammer type puller I had a discharge. I was hammering a .45 ACP on a concrete floor. The round exploded plastic hit my glasses and face drawing blood. The bullet was found in the hall way outside the room. I try to use only collet type pullers. I do use the hammers when pulling deep seated lead bullets. But yes I am a little shy using a hammer type puller. A very sensitive primer and "BANG".

Offline SteveHawaii

• Avid Poster
  • Having fun at the Koko Head Shooting Complex
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:29 PM »
I quit using the hammer pullers when I accidently hit my thumb once.  I was using the end of a 2X4 to strike against since I live in an apartment and I can't beat on the floor without upsetting my neighbors.  Glanced off the edge and hit my thumb.  The collet puller is not that expensive, very easy to use, doesn't make any noise, and saves my thumb.  I got the Hornady cam lock puller for less than 20 bucks.
We rarely think people have good sense unless they agree with us.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:47:52 PM »
Crimped the daylights out of them didn't you....
If I crimped them it was purely by mistake!

I take it this is not the expected difficulty? I was a bit worried the puller was gonna break before I got done. All's well that ends well, I suppose.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline hillbill

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »
i pulled a couple 06 bullets last night just to make sure of what powder and bullet i was useing as the box was unmarked, my bad.i do NOT crimp 06. it took several more whacks than i remember.i have a newer rcbs hammer inertia pullerit seems a little flimsy.is it my imagination or were the older hammer style pullers built heavier and thicker?

Offline fastchicken

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 04:13:08 AM »
+1 on the Hornady Cam-Lock, well worth the cost.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »
I just pulled 95 30-06s last week. Out of the first 5 shots from this lot, 3 cases cracked. So it was necessary to salvage the balance of components. I used my hammer type puller, with a foam ear plug in it to protect the bullet. You really do need to beat something solid, like a concrete garage floor. Even my wooden loading bench doesn't isn't solid enough for this. If you beat a surface that "gives" a bit, like wood will, you end up having to work twice as hard. I do have a collet type puller too, but never use it because it seems to deform the bullets too much. I was pulling Sierra "match Kings", and they're too expensive anymore to risk the collet puller.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
I've used a collet puller for years not having any trust in that hammer thingee. Never had a bullet deformed either.How did you manage to deform yours?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Westwindmike

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:28:12 AM »
I traded for a FR-8 Mauser that came with 600 loaded rounds(all reloads). The man only threw in the reloads on the promise that I would pull them and not shoot them. I kept my word and pulled all 600. I used a RCBS collet type puller and it went fast. Did them all in an afternoon. Was able to salvage all the powder, bullets and now have 600 primed cases.

I would never have attempted that many with a hammer type puller.

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 06:36:04 AM »
I'm a hammerer, got a 4" section of railroad track, don't know where Daddy came up with it but it is a great little anvil.  A couple of solid whacks usually breaks the bullet loose, then every little tap inches it out more, just keep checking it for a nice easy release.  45 ACP can't be done in my experience, pretty sobering to think one could go off - don't publicize it or the makers will take the pullers off the market.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »
I've used a collet puller for years not having any trust in that hammer thingee. Never had a bullet deformed either.How did you manage to deform yours?

I've had collets scrape the bullets in the past with my Hornady puller. Now I only use it on bullets with cannelures.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:07:26 AM »
I found a new use for a kinetic puller, pulled a bunch of 6.5 Swede bullets yesterday using the RCBS collet puller, some of the loads were compressed and the powder wouldn't dump out probably due to the very tapered case, the hammer puller worked like a charm.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
I still have a beater puller or two that I use on one or two cases, but anything more i'm a RCBS collet guy and if there crimped in that tight or short that the collet won't pull them, I use my Rigid thumb cutters and save the powder and primer and melt the lead out of the bullet.

My shop has a wood floor and I use a SB chevy cylinder head stood on end that sits outside the door for the beater puller.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline shot1

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
Scrapes on bullets from collet pullers do not harm the bullets in any way. They will shoot just as well as a new one in my experience. I am not talking mangled bullets but just lite scrapes of marks. If bullets are crimped put them in a seating die and just seat them ever so slightly deeper to break the crimp. Do the same with military ammo that has the asphalt sealant on the bullet and they come out much easier. I have used a RCBS collet puller for years. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
id dont fool with pullers anymore. Just put the shell in the shell holder on your single stage press and run it to the top without a die in it. Then take a pair of linemans pliers or side cuts if you call them that and lightly grip the bullet with the wire cutter part. Lower the ram and it pulls the bullet. If your careful the bullets will not be damaged. Even ones with light marks from the pliers have shot just as well as new bullets for me. Sure is a pile faster.
blue lives matter

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »
I've been doing just like Lloyd for years, with the same results.

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
I just tried Lloyd and curteric's trick and it worked great. I must say " I have a new bullet puller." 8)
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 01:46:42 AM »
If you have any amount  to pull, anything beats the hammer---I like Lloyds method---though I don't worry about the bullets I grip em with the side cutters to get a good grip.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:03 AM »
I use an RCBS collet puller.  I bought all of the collets from 22 - 458.  Works great!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!