Author Topic: Full wadcutter mould with full diameter front band?  (Read 987 times)

Offline inthebeech

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Full wadcutter mould with full diameter front band?
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »
I noticed that my Lyman 358091 front band is a few thousandths under the nominal diameter of the rest of teh body.  You can't tell this from looking at mould catalogs.  Do any of you who use the comperable RCBS or SAECO target moulds for your 38's, know if those front bands are the full diameter?
Thanks,
Ed

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Full wadcutter mould with full diameter front band?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »
 How did you measure this dimension? Is it SUPPOSED to be smaller than the rest of the base? Perhaps this area is designed to enter the forcing cone and help align the bullet for better accuracy! Is this the very light (93gr) bullet? If so, it COULD be for the .380 case to head space on the edge of the chamber properly.

Offline inthebeech

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:52:12 AM »
It's the standard target Full Wadcutter, 148 gr.  I measured the front band with a vernier calliper and confirmed the delta in diameters using a dial indicator on the mould itself.  I suspect the reason is exactly what you mentioned however I am of the school that the front band should be the same diameter and fit very snugly in the throat; no need for a reduced diameter.  That's just how I roll.  In fact it seems likely to me that this came about so folks wouldn't need to be so precise in getting the right sizing dies (as is necessary with full diameter bullets for the whole length) or needing to measure and properly fit bullets to throats. 
So who can recommend a full diameter target style bullet mould (manufacturer and mould number please) for the 38?

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
Many moulds have a slightly smaller front driving band. It seems more prevalent in Lyman moulds. The reason for this is to allow easier chambering in revolvers when there is a little fouling at the throats. Elmer Keith ripped Lyman several new a**es for doing this to several of his mould designs. I have had difficulty chambering cast bullets with full diameter driving bands in competition before. The reduced diameter driving band does make it easier, as does a slightly shortened front band, However, it can also reduce bullet alignment to the throats, and make the front band more prone to skid when it engages the rifling. It doesn't surprise me to see this in a wadcutter mould, my 358432 Ly man mould also has a reduced front band. My two RCBS wadcutter moulds are full diameter, and are a couple of my other Lyman moulds.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
 I shoot mostly the Lee 158 SWC from a six cavity I bought some time ago. IF there is NO accuracy issues with YOUR bullets, I would not worry to much about it. The PRETTIEST bullets I ever saw were so inaccurate I could not hit the target at 50 yards reliably. That mold went for a few rides on the mail truck with NO improvement in accuracy.

Offline inthebeech

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:25:43 AM »
Thanks for the tip Anachronism.  I am headed to a big show this weekend and will keep an eye out for an RCBS wadcutter mould.

And thanks for making me look up "Anachronism."

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the tip Anachronism.  I am headed to a big show this weekend and will keep an eye out for an RCBS wadcutter mould.

And thanks for making me look up "Anachronism."

There's a big word for everything...  ;D