Author Topic: Nose Punch? Help..  (Read 587 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
Nose Punch? Help..
« on: January 23, 2004, 12:51:37 PM »
Ok, I cast a few bullets and balls, but I am new to it.  I thought it was the tool used to push the bullet through the sizing die.  Is this wrong?  What IS a nose punch for?  (no pun intended)
....make it count

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
Nose Punch? Help..
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 01:43:48 PM »
Robert, if you're wrong then we can be wrong together.  Nose punch is the part of the sizer that fits the nose of the bullet
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Robert

Ok, thanks B.F.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 04:08:08 PM »
I have a Lee Lube-sizer, but this pushes them through from the base.  I guess it is just a manufacturer difference.
....make it count

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Nose Punch? Help..
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 05:41:20 AM »
Things are easy sometimes, and not so easy at other times. Here is why. I have been casting a big bunch of Snakebite bullets. They are a special designed trunicated sort of type, but rounded with flat point type .358 dia bullet. I have some Lee sizer/lubers, but they only work well with liquid alox of pan lubed bullets. I also have a Saeco luber/sizer and I had to get a sizing die and top punch for the Snakebites. Hmmmm, nowhere could I find a nose profile like I needed. I looked in Saeco and RCBS and any catalog that had dies that would fit Saeco. I finally had to order one, I thought might work for a round nose and had a friend chuck it up in a lathe and cut the very end of the top punch to match the profile of the Snakebite. I was pleased as punch (pun intended) that even though cold and unheated I could lube that big ol' honkin' lube groove with my own mix of a sort of Felix lube I use, since I only shoot BP. Works like a charm and my bullets are coming out perfectly. Sometimes, invention is the mother of necessity, or some such saying, still even today in this modern day and age  :-)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Robert

Cool Howdy...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 07:15:06 AM »
I am glad I asked, as usual I get the answers here.  I have been thinking of getting a .358 mold also.  This week my rebarreled P-17 arrived.  I had Shaw do it in 35 Whelen Ackley.  I really like it, and I think it would be a perfect candidate for heavy cast.  Thanks for the info.  I am waiting for a special order 30 cal mold that the guys desinged over on Culver's.  It is a pointed 210.  Looks real interesting.   They were also offering a nose punch, but I think I can get by with my Lee sizer.
....make it count

Offline howdy doody

• Contributor
Nose Punch? Help..
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 10:26:10 AM »
Well, see if they are offering a top punch then they have the exact same profile as the bullet. That was my problem. Snakebite a cowboy shooter of some repute, maybe even ill repute designed a bullet that will feed in .38 spl brass through marlins and other finicky rifles. The bullet also has a huge lube groove for those of us that shoot BP. You need all the lube you can get usually. Since he designed the bullet and we got Lee to make up a batch of 50 of the molds there really never was a top punch made for this bullet. Lee only has that tumble lube plastic thing. Most luber/sizers are of the Lyman/Saeco/Star/RCBS type and they require you push down with the nose, not the base. If you are going to tumble lube or pan lube the Lee will work just fine for you. Good shooting pard.  :grin:
yer pard,
Howdy Doody

Darksider from Doodyville USA

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Nose Punch? Help..
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 12:17:07 PM »
Often one can take a nose/top punch and fill the cavity in with epoxy, using a well greased bullet to form it into the exact profile wanted.  One has to match the diameter of the punch so it will clear the ID of the sizing die.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)