Author Topic: Ready for Ohio ML season!  (Read 868 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Ready for Ohio ML season!
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Sighted in the Sidekick today @ 50 yds using 295 gr. Powerbelt over two Pyrodex pellets and the unmentionable primer system.  First one was a fouling shot about 2in. low and to the right an inch from the bullseye plus I shot it too quickly and messed up.  Shots 2 & 3 cut the same hole right in the bullseye. Best shooting I have ever done with this rifle.  Shot one more out to 100 yds = an inch to the right and 3 in. low of the bullseye. All were within minute of deer for me.  Realistically where I am hunting on Sat. the 50 yd. shot will be maximum distance anyway.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
Re: Ready for Ohio ML season!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »
Joe,
Good luck during the Ohio MZ season Joe and hope you put some meat in the freezer.  Where are you hunting?  I will be hunting a farm in Fairfield Co. Ohio with my 45 cal smokeless Handi and hope to ad a doe to the buck I shot in October. 
BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline chefjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »
Jal5, Good luck,I'm jealous...our season over....BB, a smokeless ML handi? Please elaborate,as I didn't know they made one....what powder?  Best of luck.....

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
jeff,
H&R doesn't, it is a converted 45-70 Handi.  There are some posts on the H&R Huntsman forum that you can search.   I did my own load workup because all the data for the Savage smokeless is for a 50 cal so I don't want to post load data.  I am comfortable with what I got and not really pushing the envelope much, 280 grain LFN in a 40/45 sabot at close to 2,000 fps.  You can get the same velocity with the sabot using a BP substitute, it just costs more money and you spend more time cleaning the your rifle.
BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline chefjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »
Sounds good...I love the savage,and think it the best,sounds like you have found an alternative...kudos to you!

Offline 52bagman

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »
Good luck on your hunt but be careful. A friend of my hunts the Meigs Co. area and has killed three deer in the last several years that were supposed to be does but turned out to be dandy bucks with no horns as in very large scabbs on their heads. Would be a sick feeling thinking you shot a doe and walk up to it too find out that next years trophy buck was on the ground with no ornaments.
My friend says no more "does" will be shot during the late muzzleload season for him.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »
BB I am in Jefferson Co.  I didn't get to hunt much earlier in the season as I was recuperating from back surgery. Looking forward to tomorrow like its opening day. but the weather is supposed to warm up again :(

good luck to you!
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »
Jal5 - Best of luck on your hunt, with the Sidekick.  Let us know how you make out.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 07:22:36 AM »
Bad results.  Shot a small spike yesterday just before dark, heard it crash down but decided to give it till this morning to retrieve as I didn't want to push it off the property in case it was only wounded.  Temps were 32-39 deg. overnite. Found it this morning about 30 yds only from where I shot it. The PB entry was right behind the front shoulder but it went through the midsection and exited out the middle of the deer, with the guts hanging out.  Smelled something rotten, so I decided to leave it for the coyotes. No blood trail at all and all the blood must have pooled up inside. Range from my blind was only 25-30 yds so I knew I had a good shot on it.  Probably if I had retrieved it last night I could have salvaged most of it.

But I decided to back off when approaching the area where I thought it had gone down I heard additional noises and didn't want to push it. I should have waited awhile and just retrieved it right then.  Would have been the first deer taken from the pop up blind.  they come really close to it before getting spooked- if I keep really still they don't spook at all. Joe

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
Joe,
Sorry to hear you lost the meat.  Every place I hunt in Ohio, if you don't retrieve a deer in short order there is no point going back because the Yotes will be all over it.  Hunt all day saturday & half a day today and none of the 3 of us saw a deer.  We did see coyotes both days and I got lucky and got to watch a mink playing in a small stream. 8)
BB

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:56:36 PM »
Good luck to you