Author Topic: Fort Branch, Hamilton NC Cannons.  (Read 597 times)

Offline Tod0987

• Trade Count: (0)
Fort Branch, Hamilton NC Cannons.
« on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
Well I guess it's about time I contributed something.
  The first weekend of November each year we take the scout troop camping to Fort Branch reenactment for the weekend. This fort is supposedly (said loosely) one of the last few surviving earthen forts with origional atillery on site. A Confederate fort located on the Roanoke River near Hamilton, NC (eastern NC). This was set up on the high bluffs of the Roanoke River and trained on the river as the boats come up river, as they came around a curve the cannons would open fire. In actuality Union forces dismounted downstream and marched toward the fort. As they did the decision to abandon the fort was given and the cannons were blown into the river and power magazine blown as well to prevent the pieces from being captured. They were raised in the 60-70's. They now reside on site which is privately owned and open to the public. I thought I'd pass along a few pictures I shot while there over the past 3 years.   Taking the troop here has driven my interest in cannons.

Here are a few images with others in the album. I appologize for the cell phone picts... batteries died in the camera  >:( 

Hope yall enjoy.

Tod

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Fort Branch, Hamilton NC Cannons.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »
Tod0987,

Your have one photo of what looks like a 6 pounder on a relic carriage any info on that piece?
also in the photo is an iron carriage any info or other photo's ?
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32:54 PM »
Tod0987,

Your have one photo of what looks like a 6 pounder on a relic carriage any info on that piece?
also in the photo is an iron carriage any info or other photo's ?

I know there is info with each piece on site but I do not have any unfortunately. Yes that carriage is mostly iron. It struck me as odd too.  I called a friend who knows the caretaker and they have closed for the winter. Last weekend was the last time open. Go figure on the timing. The owners have kept the site under private ownership to protect it so it has limited time open to the public. I was told that turning it over to the state would have undesirable consequences to the preservation of the fort.

I will try and see if I can get an appointment in the upcoming month or so and get you more information.  While on call he did say they have a website (I didn't realize this) that has some info on the recovery of two 6 lb'ers http://www.fortbranchcivilwarsite.com/restoration-cannon_recovery.aspx

Hope this helps.

Tod

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos, Tod.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Starr 2011

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »
Kabar 2
The iron carriage is the tail of one under a 4 inch Fawcett Preston rifle from England. Attached is a picture of the whole thing at Fort Branch. There's another 4 inch gun and iron carriage undergoing restoration in North Carolina, that used to be at Washington navy Yard. Max Caliber published pictures of that one here a while back.
Starr

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:53:21 AM »
    Tod,    This looks like a very interesting place to visit.  That breech section of the blown up naval gun looks like it was cast in South Boston, Mass by the Cyrus Alger Co. foundry.  It most likely came from the large stock of captured cannon after the Gosport Navy Yard in Portsmouth, Virginia  was seized by Confederate forces in 1861.  Neither Mike nor I have seen a gun so thoroughly destroyed, except for a few which were blown up as the enemy approached.  Do you know how this naval gun came to be in it's present condition?

Thanks,

Tracy and Mike
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Tod0987

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 06:17:15 PM »
    Tod,    This looks like a very interesting place to visit.  That breech section of the blown up naval gun looks like it was cast in South Boston, Mass by the Cyrus Alger Co. foundry.  It most likely came from the large stock of captured cannon after the Gosport Navy Yard in Portsmouth, Virginia  was seized by Confederate forces in 1861.  Neither Mike nor I have seen a gun so thoroughly destroyed, except for a few which were blown up as the enemy approached.  Do you know how this naval gun came to be in it's present condition?

Thanks,

Tracy and Mike

Tracy & Mike,

Enjoy all your projects some almost too good to shoot!  ;D   

I wondered the first time as well with thoughts leaning towards the Swamp Angel.  Though as you mentioned I belive it was blown up to avoid capture, but not 100% sure. I tried to in photoshop bring up the plaque sitting on top but couldn't due to the plexi covering reflecting the flash. When the fort was threatend everything was either blown up or pushed into the river some 70 feet below.  My friend talks about when he was growing up, his family would go to the fort and he would  hop from cannon ball to cannon ball like stones in a walkway around where the magazine was blown. 

The trip to the Fort for the weekend is one trip the scouts look forward to every fall.