Author Topic: Loading Hornady FTX Lever evolution bullets  (Read 1356 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
Loading Hornady FTX Lever evolution bullets
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:33:27 AM »
I bought a box of 225g FTX bullets to load for my Handi rifle only to discover that neither of the seater plugs that came with my RCBS bullets is remotely correct for use with these bullets.

Anybody here loading the .430" FTX bullets and if so, did you order a custom seater plug from RCBS or did you find some other work around to the problem?

Tony

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Loading Hornady FTX Lever evolution bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:49:18 AM »
I bought a box of 225g FTX bullets to load for my Handi rifle only to discover that neither of the seater plugs that came with my RCBS bullets is remotely correct for use with these bullets.

Anybody here loading the .430" FTX bullets and if so, did you order a custom seater plug from RCBS or did you find some other work around to the problem?

Tony

You have a couple choices.

First contact RCBS and they will send you an appropriate seater.
Look thru your other dies and see if you have one that will work in the 44 dies.
Modify one yourself with a drill press..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:08:04 AM »
I made one to fit my 357 dies, on a lathe. Someone local could open up one of yours if you have a spare, or send a bullet and the die maker can do it for a reasonable fee, just takes longer.
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:37:35 AM »
RCBS will make you a custom seater plug for your seater die if you send them 5 bullets and $17..... or just use Hornady dies like I do.  ;)

Tim

http://www.rcbs.com/questions/ask.aspx

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/2010_SpecialOrder.pdf

From their FAQs...

Q. When I seat the bullet, the seater plug cuts a ring around the bullet just below the nose. What causes this?

A. In short, the seater plug does not fit the bullet you are using. The seater plug furnished with the Seater Die normally will fit the great majority of the bullets for that particular caliber. However, we cannot make one seater plug fit all bullets currently available. If you experience this problem or any similar problem where the seater plug doesn't match the bullet and you wish to have a special seater plug made, we can supply one from the Special Order Department at minimum cost. See our Special Order Catalog for current pricing.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »
Thanx guys it seems my only workable option is to order a custom one from RCBS.  None of my other dies use the same diameter seater plug. 

Also it's too my advantage to buy RCBS dies since I can get parts for them locally at almost any place that sells gun stuff but finding parts for other make dies around here is almost impossible...

Tony