Author Topic: Primer Flow  (Read 806 times)

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Primer Flow
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:52:05 PM »
Seems this is a common problem with the Handi's in general.  Searched ad-nauseum - lots of similar posts but no solutions!  If Fred had a solution posted, it disappeared!

Just got a 357 barrel for my sb1 frame.  Works fine till you load up anything approaching a full load, then the primer flows back into the firing pin hole enough you have to pop it across your knee to break the frame open.  These are, BTW full house per sec but not max loads, even in sets of six, these rounds extract easily from both my Colt and DW.   As an aside I noted the same thing on my SB2 even working up loads for my 223 barrel, anywhere close to max and it'll start hanging on the pin hole a little as well, luckily just not as bad as the SB1.  I'm kinda wondering the sanity of trying to get the 357 max to work out on the SB1 frame after I get it reamed.  Bushing the frame and a smaller better fitted firing pin would surely work but that's a bit past my equipment skills here.  Has anyone tried as in when I try the MAX using small rifle primers?  I'd think perhaps it'll lessen the problem if nothing else.
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Primer Flow
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »
SR primers are the rule for the Maxi in a rifle specially on an SB1 frame, I've had pierced primers with pistol primers on my first Maxi which I swapped out to an SB2 frame that worked fine(then later rechambered to 35 Rem). Pistol primers work fine with max loads in a revolver due to the vented system, not so good on the closed breech of a rifle.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
meant to post a pic of the primer :o    It's hard to see but the whole of the firing pin shape is actually high and the horseshoe shaped area is a bit higher still!

America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
What Tim said. 26-t

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:05:53 PM »
Likely you will find a rifle primer that will solve most of it, IIRC the CCIs are most often mentioned as the hardest cups.
Remember that the manual provides 'guidelines'; the way your rifle responds to load pressures should be your clue as to how much is too much. Some powders are a little 'too peaky' and spike the pressures, so going to a slower burning rate powder may help.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:16:58 AM »
Sure appreciate the replies, had me worried what way to address the issue.  Somehow I musta missed the "defaulting" to small rifle primers in a Handi.  Will try a test load with 4227 today and see what happens.  It should be a little more forgiving than W296 would be to the primer change.

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
i've never heard this either then again i load near max either. what kind of powder you using? are you saying use sr primer anytime you load for a rifle? is this just 357 or does this apply to 44 also? i've been using cci mags with a pretty good dose of 2400

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 06:42:16 AM »
Primer problems associated with the Maxi have been a topic of many, many discussions over the years, particularly in use on an SB1 frame, Both Hodgdon and Hornady recommend Rem 7½ primers in the Maxi, so does Steve in his article on rifle loads, AA uses CCI BR4 in their data.  ;)

Tim

http://357maximum.com/developing-a-load/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:44:59 AM »
It kinda depends on what, if any issues, you experience, such as the OP's. Use the KISS principle and let the problems lead you on (if no problems, keep on truckin').
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
Well.. I'm happy to say the rifle primers took care of the sb1 problem.  Just as well I learned it with the standard magnums, it'll make the loading of the Max all the easier.  I loaded 15 grs of H4227 with CCI400 primers and 140 Sierras.  The load is low end of start load but only about a gr+ under max.   Not the least bit sign of pressure, quite the opposite really.  Pressure is supposed to be just under 30k.  I'll check out the reference u listed for loading the Max Tim.  Thanks!

Ron

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »
I've taken to loading all my 38, 357, and Max rounds with SR primers.  No more problems in the rifle, and all have fired consistently in my handguns.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)