Author Topic: Varmint load help please!!!!!  (Read 505 times)

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
Varmint load help please!!!!!
« on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I want to hunt some yotes in the near future. I need to use the rifles that have instead of buying a dedicated 223 or such. I have a 22 mag but really want more umphh than that!!!

Now, I have a 270 and a 308.   Which one would I do better with to begin my loadings for a varmint round?? I know lightweights bullets are available for both.
ANY and all info/input is greatly appreciated.  Any load info is good to!!
Thanks
Jeff

With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Varmint load help please!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
If I was forced to choose of the two, I'd try the 270 first with 90-100 grn bullets.
 Alot depends on how well either shoots a light bullet, you can't really say until ya try. Your going to get flatter and faster with the lighter bullets right?
 So it boils down to the twist rates you have and how well they shoot. (period)
found elsewhere

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »
Yup 90s or 100s in the 270. You can make these little bullets go really fast, and they have always shot pretty good in my guns. Something you might think about though, is loading them down a bit. Lately, I've been shooting 110s loaded to about 2950 at my meat deers and antelopes. They are really pleasant to shoot, and at practical ranges who could tell the difference in the trajectory. I used to think that making my 270 go 3400 fps was the thing to do. Why, bragging rights I guess, but now I'm older I really can't see why anyone would need to do that.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 01:10:25 PM »
I once loaded some 100gr for my 700 in 270 and they grouped very well.

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
light bullets are good for yotes but yu mite try jus shooting them with your usual hunting bullets.they will do the job.same price jus a tad less powder than the lighter bullets.and it will get yu ready for hunting season.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 02:58:06 AM »
If you choose the right bullet sometimes you will even have a hide to sell. Some superlight bullets expand so rapidly they often don't exit a coyote. The other way to go is with a heavily constructed big game bullet that makes it from side to side with little expansion. With a heavy bullet you run the risk of the coyote showing no sign of being hit and escaping though.

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 03:54:35 AM »
Not gonna save the pelts!!!!  I guess I could just use my 130gr 270 deer load!  That does make sense.
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:03:03 AM »
My most accurate 308 load is 49gr of Varget and 125gr Nosler Bal Tips.
This load is a full grain below book max.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 08:43:25 AM »
 The 125 Nosler BT is on sale at Midway today! But the .270 will work as well Just be carefull of/in populated areas. The deer bullets will richochet farther than many VARMINT bullets

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:11:20 PM »
I want to hunt some yotes in the near future. I need to use the rifles that have instead of buying a dedicated 223 or such. I have a 22 mag but really want more umphh than that!!!

Now, I have a 270 and a 308.   Which one would I do better with to begin my loadings for a varmint round?? I know lightweights bullets are available for both.
ANY and all info/input is greatly appreciated.  Any load info is good to!!

I've never seen the logic in light fast bullets for varmints.  The criteria should first of all be accuracy, since the targets will be smaller ones, at the range you're intending to hunt at.

The above load works very well for me as several deer, racoons, groundhogs and a crow at ranges up to close to 300 yards have found out.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »
Killed many a 'yote with 125 Sierra SPs, Nostler 125 BTs and Speer 130 HPs in several .308Ws of bolt and gas gun configuration.  I used H335 for all 3 bullets at 47 gr in LC cases with WLR primers.  Ranges were measured in feet to almost 500 yards.

Larry Gibson