Author Topic: Handi rifle in 243?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Handi rifle in 243?
« on: October 20, 2011, 10:04:14 AM »
Looking through this forum reminded me that I had a brand new handi rifle in the gun room somewhere.  I had bought it a number of years ago to use as a cheap ATV coyote gun.  Never even got around to putting a scope on it. I found the gun and mounted a cheap 3x9 bushnell  scope I had gotten on a used rifle.

The only rounds I had loaded up were some 105grn and 85grn loads that I use in one of my bolt guns. After sighting in the scope it shoots but it's nothing to write home about, (3-4 inches at 100). Not what I have come to expect out of a 243. More than likely it's the scope and I may have to change that.   

Anyway, I am getting ready to load for this rifle and I am wondering what weight range of bullets and/or loads you folks have found works the best in the 243.  My bolt gun prefers heavy bullets for the caliber and does it's best with bullets over 85 grain.  Also I assume the handi rifle would do better with the bullets seated just off the rifleling? I read on here about shooting the rifle with the forearm off and I will try that if I can't get a new load dialed in.  Any other suggestions or ideas  would be greatly appreciated.   

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: Handi rifle in 243?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »
Single shot Handi Rifles have their quirks but most of them are really good shooters but you have to do your part as well.

Most of the accuracy problems with the .243 come from not letting the barrel cool between shots, and the forend.

You are on the right track by removing the forend and where you rest the rifle is important for consistent shooting.   Placing the rest just behind the hindge pin, and foreward of the trigger guard is recommended.

More detail on accurizing can be found in the FAQ's at the top of the page.  It goes into detail about using an "O" ring on the take down screw, and maybe even bedding the forend.

Stay away from oil on the latch shelf as Handi Rifles don't like a lot of oil.

Lighter bullets seems to shoot well, but others have had luck with 100 grain loads as well, and finding the right combination is half the fun.

Good luck, and others will chime in I'm sure!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
I guess I better dig into the FAQ section a bit more.  I did have the front rested out near the end of the forearm.  I will load up some 75 grain and 80 grain test loads and play with the forearm and see how that works out.

Thank You!   

Offline tcoggins

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:18:23 PM »
I've never used anything but 100 grain bullets in my .243, so I don't know how the lighter ones would work.  With 100 grain bullets, I can get 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Good luck.

Tim

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
A barrels ability to accurately shoot a given bullet weight are not determined by an action type... The rate of twist the rifling causes the bullet to spin does that. A 1in 10 twist will be sufficient for the velocity and length of a conventional 243 bullet.

I have found some very accurate 70Gr Nosler Ballistic tips, as well as some 87Gr Sierras from my 24" Ultra in 243 Win. My favorite powder for this caliber is IMR 4350. My favorite "deer" loading is a 100Gr Hornady RN bullet and a med loading of IMR 4350 powder. Easily a 1" loading when fired from my shoulder.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Skeeterbaymac

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
After reading the FAQ's more and seeing what some of you folks get for groups. I am sure I can get the little gun dialed in.  Back in the 70's I bought a crate filled with boxes of 243 bullets at an estate sale. So I have a pretty good supply to choose from.  I prefer IMR 4350 for the 243 also. Both the loads I tried were with that powder.

Thank You folks for all the information and help.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »
My 22" BB has never shot very well and I need to get of my butt and either sell it or send it into H&R. The best shooting ammo for mine has been Federal Fusion 90gr. (or is it 95). This round out performs any of my reloads I have tried or any other factory round. The second best factory round is Winchester Supreme 55gr. These two will shoot 2-3 inches at 100. Do not shoot more than two at a time without a long cooling period. Other ammo both factory and handloads vary from 4-8" groups.
GuzziJohn

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
My 243 was a light nickle barrel, shot  around 2 inches, but after 200 rounds, it shoots 1" with 100 Grain Remingtons.....

Offline Usmcrip

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:08:04 PM »
Shooting from a bipod and sandbag under the rear my . 243 shoots groups undeinch at 100 yards with almost every commercial load avail.  As stated in a previous reply however the hotter the barrel gets the bigger shot groups become and as such I always take another firearm with me to the range.  One shot through my handi  and tenthrough my .22 or something like that keeps the barrel cool and groups tight

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 02:33:13 AM »
My 243 handi has the light weight barrel and I have just about given up trying to make it shoot as well as almost other 243's I know. 2 or 21/2 inch groups is about the best I can make it do. But, the gun is a delight to carry, and I am happy with that kind of accuracy if I am packing a 30-30 lever gun, so my H&R does get used and has taken a few critters. Mostly it rides behind the seat where it doesn't take a lot of room and serves as a backup gun. Another advantage of it riding behind the seat is if it were to get stolen, I wouldn't cry big crocadile tears.