Author Topic: H&R SPORTSMAN RESEARCH  (Read 1597 times)

Offline 32 Magnum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
H&R SPORTSMAN RESEARCH
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
It has become apparent, recently, that there are some holes in the H&R SPORTSMAN history and development both in the Double Action 999 and the Single Action 199.  More research is warranted to fill in those holes.  IF you own any H&R SPORTSMAN and would like to contribute to the research, I would appreciate the following information (pics would be a great asset):
1.  Serial Number (partials are welcome, but entire numbers will help more)?
2.  Firing pin on hammer or mounted in frame?
3.  Safety rim on cylinder?  PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers?
4.  Cylinder release:  1" long lever on right side -or- small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.
5.  Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -or- on right side?
6.  DA or SA?
7.  Adjustable or fixed front sight?  If fixed - soldered in slot or pinned in slot?
Thanks in advance.  I'll provide era of manufacture and Model and Variation determination for your SPORTSMAN.
Jim Hauff,  H&R Collector

RIP Jim, passed away on October 12th, 2012

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
Re: H&R SPORTSMAN RESEARCH
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
Here is my Sportsman.   I wish it was single action or SA/DA instead of DOA only.   Not bad for $299.99 at Gander Mountain's used case.

My grandmother inherited from my granddad a "999 Sportsman" that is SA/DA.   I haven't seen it in a couple years, but the next time I go out there I'll try to get the info from it too.

1.  B5044
2.  Firing pin on hammer
3.  no safety rim on cylinder
4.  small button on left side for cylinder release
5.  Harrington & Richardson Arms Co., Worchester, Mass., U.S.A.
6.  DA only
7.  Adjustable front.  It is pinned about 1-1/4" from the muzzle.  Then there is a set screw on the muzzle end for adjusting height.

Original box, papers, and wax paper wrapper:

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »
Knight,
Thanks for the info, buddy!  That's exactly what I'm looking for and the info goes in the file.
Your piece was made in 1941 ('B' prefix).  It is a 1st Model and what we're calling the 7th variation (1940-41 only).  The action should be DA/SA - apparently the SA sear lever is either broken or disconnected on your piece.  It happens quite often from what I've observed and read.  Pics are great.  I've got a 'A' and a 'B' - both are somewhat beat up - not as nice as yours.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:15:10 PM »
Knight,
Thanks for the info, buddy!  That's exactly what I'm looking for and the info goes in the file.
Your piece was made in 1941 ('B' prefix).  It is a 1st Model and what we're calling the 7th variation (1940-41 only).  The action should be DA/SA - apparently the SA sear lever is either broken or disconnected on your piece.  It happens quite often from what I've observed and read.  Pics are great.  I've got a 'A' and a 'B' - both are somewhat beat up - not as nice as yours.

Just took mine apart..  It appears that you are correct.  My sear looks ok, but the little notch on the hammer looks like it wasn't machined deep enough for the sear to catch, or it warn down.   Just checked Numrich's, and they only have the AJ57489 series and newer in stock.   ...looks like I'll be taking the hammer our and improving the notch behind the catch a hair with a file.

Thanks!!!
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »
Knight,
Should be a fairly easy fix for a person with your experience.  Just be careful - don't want a hair trigger!
I've got a 1933 SPORTSMAN that has a very light trigger in SA - that one usually surprises me on the first shot at the range. 

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:13:38 PM »
My 999 has the following
1. BA 037276
2. frame mounted pin
3.no safety rim
4. Small release/left side
5. Rightside address
6. DA
7.Adjustable sights
8. Vent slots on barrel are fake,not milled all the way thru

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:18:47 AM »
Mauser,
Thanks for your info - Your SPORTSMAN is a 3rd Model 6th Variation, made in 1984.  1985 was the last year of production (there may have been limited production in Jan. of '86) - so you have one of the latest pieces made by the original H&R company. 

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 06:52:34 PM »
I know by looking up the serial number. By the way, I got it for a good price,and only one cylinder was fouled by test firing. I got lucky. As a user and non-collector, we have been making up for lost time. I really like these break open revolvers.

Offline 32 Magnum

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 04:32:02 AM »
Well, the H&R SPORTSMAN RESEARCH seems to have dropped off, considerably.  I've received about 300 data points from a variety of different sites, including a straggler that came in yesterday.  Time to bump it up to the top, again.  I still need more data - I'm starting to see some patterns.  Here is the info I need on your SPORTSMAN:

IF you own any H&R SPORTSMAN and would like to contribute to the research, I would appreciate the following information (pics would be a great asset):
1.  Serial Number (partials are welcome, but entire numbers will help more)?
2.  Firing pin on hammer or mounted in frame?
3.  Safety rim on cylinder?  PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers?
4.  Cylinder release:  1" long lever on right side -or- small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.
5.  Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -or- on right side?
6.  DA or SA?
7.  Adjustable or fixed front sight?  If fixed - soldered in slot or pinned in slot?