Author Topic: Newbie/bad memory questions  (Read 312 times)

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
Newbie/bad memory questions
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:04 AM »
Ok, been a few years since I've reloaded, worked up new loads, have moved a couple times, can't find all my notes...rats..
    Trying to work up some loads for a newly aquired 21" 7-30 waters barrel for my contender. Going to use 120 gr Nosler Ballistic tips and wanting to set up the cartridge for this barrel. here is what I have done..
     Brass is ready, full length sized, if memory serves (which it may not) I'd like to be about 10 thousanths off the lands so I started with the bullet WAY out in the case, tried it in the unattached barrel working the bullet in till the cartridge sat flush in the barrel. OAL at that point is 2.927, dialed the bullet seater down till OAL is 2.917...good starting point yes? Or no?
    However at that OAL only .151 of the bullet is actually in contact with the neck of the case (not including the boat tail),Is this acceptable or am I going about this all wrong?
      stupid memory anyway..Thanks...
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Newbie/bad memory questions
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
That wouldn't suit me. You have so little holding on that you may end up pulling the bullet when unloading. Have ya got any flat based bullets to try?
Another thing to remember is that all guns don't like bullets stuffed into the back of the riflings. A little bit of jump ain't a bad thing at times.

HWD

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:44:06 AM »
I'm with huntswithdogs,
 Not all guns and/or bullets have a majic set point of .010 off,, some barrles just have long necks and crowding the lands doesn't work.

The biggest issue with so little neck grip is "runout", trying to keep everything straight, if that bullet is crooked accuracy suffers alot.

Your better off starting at Book OAL, find your load then move out gradually in .010 or .020 increments looking for improvement. An olde rule of thumb for seating is the bullet diameter in the neck, in this case that would be .284.
 Good Luck.
found elsewhere

Offline hunt4570

• Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
    • Harley FLT?FLH bikes and Rides
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:17 AM »
<<<An olde rule of thumb for seating is the bullet diameter in the neck, in this case that would be .284.>>>
  So what you are saying is have .284 bearing surface in the neck of the case? If so, thanks , good rule of thumb to know..that will go in my notes..
PETA.....P eople  E ating  T asty  A nimals

Come visit my forum  http://forums.delphiforums.com/anyride/start

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
Some rifles like to have bullet almost contact rifling others do not. Back when shooting contenders I found more times than not if the base of the bullet is flush with the bottom of the case neck I would have a accurate load. One thing to try is seating bullet using crimp ring if bullet has one or same as a factory bullet if it does not. These are places to start .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !