Author Topic: 223 Steel Cases - can be reloaded, or not?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
223 Steel Cases - can be reloaded, or not?
« on: September 05, 2011, 04:53:03 PM »
I received a box of once fired 223 steel cases.  Maybe 30 pieces.  I assume they would be hard on the dies to resize and reload.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: 223 Steel Cases - can be reloaded, or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
I wholeheartedly recommend you toss these.  Problems to innumerable to list, among which they may be berdan primed.  I have a surplus of military brass if you don't mind working the crimped primers, that I will send you free....

let me know.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:09 PM »
I assume they would be hard on the dies to resize and reload.
I wholeheartedly recommend you toss these.  Problems to innumerable to list, among which they may be berdan primed.

And I'd wholeheartedly aggree with both of the above. I'll add 30pcs ain't worth messin with.
 Thank who ever gave them to you for the thought though.

Broke a Lee decapping pin trying to resize some brass 308 that I didn't know was berdan primed.
(lessons)
found elsewhere

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »
I have a surplus of military brass if you don't mind working the crimped primers, that I will send you free....

let me know.

Ben

Ben,

Thank you for that consideration, but no thank you.  I already have ~4,000 clean brass 223 cases on hand...so I am good to go.  Plus, I know that I have some that are military in that bunch.   I too have had historic "difficulties" in getting primers out and new primers in some manufacturer's cases.

I was just wondering about these 30 steel cases, which are in the trash as this is typed.  It is real interesting to run a strong magnet over a box full of cases and see some of them jump up out of there.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:52:12 AM »
As to the original question, yes they can be reloaded.  Usually they can be reloaded twice safely and on rare occasions 3 times.  This is a practice that should be avoided unless you found yourself in an end of the road situation.  Steel work hardens quite rapidly and may split on even the first reload.  Steel also does not resize like brass so neck tension is an immediate issue.  As long as usable brass is available there's little reason to reload steel other than curiosity as there are too many issues to mention.  Some of us just can't believe unless we have first hand experience.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:09:55 AM »
As to the original question, yes they can be reloaded.  Usually they can be reloaded twice safely and on rare occasions 3 times.  This is a practice that should be avoided unless you found yourself in an end of the road situation.  Steel work hardens quite rapidly and may split on even the first reload.  Steel also does not resize like brass so neck tension is an immediate issue.  As long as usable brass is available there's little reason to reload steel other than curiosity as there are too many issues to mention. Some of us just can't believe unless we have first hand experience.

My thoughts exactly. I did reload a steel case once. One got mixed in my brass cases and I didn't catch it all the way through my process. I dumped the cases into my case feeder and out came a loaded steel case 9mm round. It functioned and fired ok, but as long as brass cases are available, I won't intentionally load steel cases.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline McDerry

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 08:06:47 PM »
I'll reload steel casings if I have them in quantity(500 plus). 

I don't know where some of you guys have been getting info on reloading quality of steel cases but...

Pro's

Much longer case life, the steel cases don't stretch and thin as fast as brass cases.  Steel also work hardens at a slower rate then brass.

Neck size on a rifle case is performed by an expander on the decapping rod, leaving tighter necks that size out when the bullet is seated.

Bio-degradable if you care about picking up the empties and can't find them (disposable).

Con's

New ammo is laquered and makes a mess of the gun.

Some are berdaned primed others boxer primed, you have to sort them during inspection.

Lube is used on the heavy side.  But then again GB Wire Aid is $6 a quart.

Cases are heavier if weight is an issue.

Reloads tend to not be re-laquered as its messy, corrosion (rust) is an issue because of this.

In short 30 cases is not worth the effort.  300 Maybe.  3000 Yes.

Offline reclusej

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 06:11:33 AM »
Once you bevel the out side of a steel case if is good for
punching holes in gasket material or leather.
                     reclusej
I own a gun , not to kill some one but
so no one tries to kill me !!!

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Nothings impossible, some things just aren't practical under present circumstances.

Only 4000 cases? <sniff> I suppose it's a start!