Author Topic: NEED HELP!  (Read 327 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
NEED HELP!
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:36:48 AM »
Well I am a little late but as I said the bug got me and I went to the gun shop and wouldnt you know it I came home with another handi in 308. Standard 22 inch contour wood stock with ejector barrel. Well checked at the shop and the serial # match up so it is a factory fit. The forearm was extra tight without the nut so a little file and some foil paper for the shim and it just stays on without the screw. Next is where my problem is. The latch engagement is totaly on one side corner and that is it. You can notice because the wear has removed the blue. I smoked the shelf to make sure and that is it. I looked in FAQ for the fix but cant find it. I know it is there I think I saw it before. can someone give me some info on how to fix it. want to get it as good as possible before the range. Thanks. 

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
Re: NEED HELP!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:27:18 AM »
Thanks. I scrolled down and saw IMproper latch engagement and looked in there. That is exactly what the factory fir barrel looks like but on the opposite side. I am also sure it didnt shoot well like this and with the tight forearm. Tim mentioned that this could indicate that this could be a defective barrel pin which could be crooked. Since this is a factory barrel and receiver is it something that H&R would handle if I sent it back. Dont want to start to try and alter it if they can fix since it was like this probobly leaving there door. 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
I'd shoot it first and see how it does, use factory ammo, if it won't shoot a 2" or better 3-shot 100yd group with factory ammo, make arrangements to send it in to get it fixed. There could be lots of reasons why it was in the rack, lots of ignorance out there on what it takes to shoot a handi, oil on the latch/shelf being right up there at the top which is also the easiest fix.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:24:39 AM »
Tim it was really bad. I found that when I took the barrel off and looked into the receiver at the Latch that it was actually sitting in there crooked and was lower on the side where it was only hitting the shelf. I called today and am sending it back as Brian again is helping me out and said he would take a look at it. I figure I might as well get it as good as I know how befor sending lead down the barrel. Thanks for the help guys will let you know how it turns out. And I quess while it is there a 357 will be fitted so I quess when it comes I will be putting in for the reamer.