Author Topic: 493 dead deer  (Read 659 times)

Offline pjeffreys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
493 dead deer
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:07:28 AM »
i didn't know which forum to post this in but i think it is a "must read".

http://www.bullnettlenews.com/forum/yaf_postst23799_493-Dead-Deer.aspx

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Re: 493 dead deer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:20:47 AM »
Does not correlate well to my empirical evidence for a Winchester .270 Classic Featherweight and 150 grain Nosler Partitions (Factory rifle, custom reloads) but that is beside the point.  I practice, practice, practice and when I pull the trigger, I KNOW where that bullet is going to go, so tracking and me are not very close friends - normally.  If I stray from Partitions, like the year I shot Speer Grand Slam bullets, then those otherwise "killing" shots, weren't, and my tracking skills increased 10-fold.  Skip past the first page-an-a-half to get to the meat of the article.  Apparently Layne was "filling space" with the first half.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:37:12 AM »
Interesting reading.
Don't say I totally agree with all that was written but that is from my experience.
There is just to many variables to clearly claim a true winner.
Change shot placement and for me they are all DRT with a head or neck shot from any caliber from 223 to 45-70.
As far as kill shots go, the vitals are sure kills but travel distance can vary a lot because of many factors.
The variables are just to many for any given caliber to rate them in this fashion.
Bullets that kill constantly at long range may zip a hole right through up close.
One that expands up close may not expand at long range.
What angles, what speed at time of impact, what distance, heavy bone or no bone.
Actions of the animal at the time of the shot (standing, running, aleart or calm).
I have dropped them in their tracks, and with the same ammo, distance and shot placement watched them run until they ran out of life.
Some ran a short ways, some ran hundreds of yards.
How can an animal run over 200 yds with a heart turned to jelly but it happens.
When I was very young I made a bad shot on a running deer at about 125 yds with a BP rifle and a lead round ball.
Hit him through the hind quarters.
He dropped in his tracks and was dead when I got to him with very little blood.
Don't know why but it did happen.

If the same test was done again by the same person with the same calibers I bet he would come up with different results.
JMO.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
Hit him through the hind quarters.
He dropped in his tracks and was dead when I got to him with very little blood.
Don't know why but it did happen.

LONGTOM

On account of because it HURT!  :-)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
My best guess is that in my lifetime I have shot between 80 & 90 deer. I have never lost one. The closest I ever came was an 80 pound spike that was shot at about 30 yards with a 44 magnum Blackhawk Hunter. I tracked the deer almost a 1/4 mile in a circle, just like a rabbit, and it died about 125 yards from where it was shot. When we examined the carcass you could have dropped a golf ball completely through the body, through both lungs. The things I can say with confidence are these: High velocity rounds produce more bloodshot meat and bone fragments than slow heavy ones. Bullets that pass through leave a better trail and quicker kill than those that do not. A spine shot is the surest way to anchor an animal and prevent the need to track. Of the deer I have shot, about 1/3 never left a 5 yard circle from where they were standing when I fired, and only a dozen made it out of sight of the stand.  If you cannot control yourself enough to pass up questionable shots, you should not hunt. Good judgement, patience, and shot placement is way more important than caliber. That being said, given the choice of a dozen different caliber weapons to hunt with, I would choose the 444 anywhere but as a beanfield rifle for whitetails. Just sayin......
remember the starfish

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
I think it was a good artical but most of what I knew already (comes with age) I have killed over 200+ head of big game in 54 years of hunting from Moose to Javelina this does not take in varmits like yotes and bobcats well over half have been taken with a 270 and a 1/3 of them were using either Rem core lokts or WW silver tips and a few with old barnes jacketed lead, but most have been shot using 130gr Nosler part, I took 2 elk using the 270 both using 150gr Nosler Solid base bullets out of the 21 elk I have taken and IMHO the 270 is too small unless it's a spine shot, my one bull with the 270 was a 70 yard neck shot DEAD, a cow was lung shot at 150yds and she went about 700 yards up the side of a bare mountain in the snow she stopped about 50 yards from the crest when a lucky off hand shot at 500 yards broke he hips and down she went, glad I carry a pocket full of shells and not just what is in the mag like some do.

For me I use a 338WM shooting 210gr NP on anything larger then deer that goes back to the mid 70's.

I have taken a number of hogs and this is were I have used a number of other guns and bullets from a 22-250 243 260 7mm-08 300sav 30-06 and a 30-40 krag.

After years of hunting I have only lost 2 big game animals a Antelope and a pig the goat with a 300 sav using 150gr Rem CL and the pig with a 260 using 125gr NP, the antelope still haunts me till this day and that was in 1970 he was without a doubt the biggest one I have ever seen and I have seen my share.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.