Author Topic: People using Workmates for reloading bench, please help  (Read 717 times)

Offline BKS

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
People using Workmates for reloading bench, please help
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
I need to know what size to make my top for the unit. I don't plan on more than one press on it but never can tell.
I am also unsure of buying a 225 or a 425.....

Please help if you can, I have read the article and saw their dimensions, is anyone else doing it different.

Offline topper88

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: People using Workmates for reloading bench, please help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:53:29 AM »
I used a cheap China made Workmate copy from Harbor Freight for many years so I thought I would share my observations.  It's ideal for all type of reloading with pistol calibers.  I would put the back legs against the baseboard strip and keep one toe on a front leg and this stabilized excellently.  Never used an added top.  Used one existing hole for the back and drilled two more  in front for my Lee Turret Press.  Loaded maybe 12,000 rounds before I tried rifle reloading.  I wasn't able to full size rifle brass so I mounted a single stage press on a heavy work bench in the basement then moved back upstairs where it was warm to reload rifle rounds on the turret press.

Now my BenchnVice was a cheap piece of junk and the board the press was mounted to tilted toward me about 5 degrees but it worked and got me started.  I could reload during cold Noreasters and keep warm upstairs in my home.  The idea is to improvise and use what you have.  Save your money for components.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
I have a reloading bench that was built using a portable work bench similar to the Workmate. I believe it was a Sears/Craftsman brand. I mounted a piece of 3/4" plywood to the top using wood screws. I then topped the edges with quarter round trim to keep things from rolling off, only leaving the front open. My dimensions are 30"x21".  I did seal the plywood and trim with Spar Varnish to keep it clean and sealed. My RCBS press is mounted to the front and I have pre-drilled holes for the trimmer and my powder throw. I've noticed that is is a bit more stable and stout with several hundred bullets boxed-up and sitting towards the rear of the top.

It has worked perfectly for 4 years!

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:37:42 AM »
 Thank you for the replies. I put my press on a Harbor Freight grinder stand this weekend and it worked, like said above, it enables me to get started in reloading. It handles pistol cartridges no problem, but I have to hold it to do, rifle work.

I hope to get a workmate soon and will build one of these. I have taken two sheets of 3/4 plywood 23x24 and glued them together, This was the largest size I could come up with on this salvaged plywood.(Too pretty to throw away)

I am also working on a copy of the little sinclair bench that sits on the floor, so if push comes to shove, I may just mount the rock chucker on a big bench in the garage and spray the heck outta it with oil between times I use it for resizing rifle brass.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »
Hello, BKS.  You could mount that rock chucker on a thick piece of plywood, or maple, and C clamp to bench in garage..then you could just bring it inside when finished loading.  Alot  cleaner than oiling.
Best of luck!

Offline BKS

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:05:56 AM »
 I got to thinking about that yesterday afternoon. I think that is what I am going to do. Thanks again for all replies.

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
BKS, I started out on a Work Mate. I put a peice of 1/2" plywood the same size as the bench in the full open size, and mounted my Lee press on the right hand end with bolts. Then when I wanted to use the powder drop, case trimmer, or any other thing, I just screwed it to a peice of wood and C-clamped it to the other side of the bench. I cut a peice of scrap wood to cover the space under the bench and put my reloading supplies(bullets, powder, etc.) on there. It gave it enough weight to help stabilize it. And I could still fold it up to store it! I still have that bench, even though I have moved up to a regular work bench. I will use it when I go to live on my boat!
You have a great idea!
Thanks, Robert.