Author Topic: .445 Super mag load for rifle  (Read 1183 times)

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
.445 Super mag load for rifle
« on: October 20, 2011, 02:16:55 AM »
I considering cambering my .44 Mag Handi Rifle to .445 Super mag and I've been doing some load research...  The slowest powder listed for the .445 SM is with AA1680 but this load was also developed for a revolver.  I'm wondering if RL7 or IMR4198 would work for this round in a rifle?

According to the powder burn rate chart on the Hodgdon site, these 2 powders are the next 2 slower than AA1680 and I'm thinking for use in a rifle they would give good results with lower pressures than the faster powders.

I'm also thinking a .460 S&W Mag rifle would be in the same territory but I haven't bought one of those yet...

Tony

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: .445 Super mag load for rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:44 AM »
geezerbiker, don't have a .445 in a rifle, but have had an inclination to build one from a .444. I can tell you, I use the load I believe your refering to. I cast a 330gr. for my DW. And use the load out of the Lyman 2nd edition, 31.5grs of 1680. It's a handful in a 10'' pistol!! Not sure if going to a slower burning powder, will get you that much. There's an optimum powder charge for every cartridge, and, you might be over the curve trying to cram that much powder in that case. Best case scenario, you might call one of the powder company's, and talk to a rep. Sometimes you can find out that they've already tried what you want to do, and it didn't work. They have alot more sophisticated equipment that we do, and are more than willing to help out. Good Luck!! gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline TNBilly

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »
i worked up rl7 early on.  In my Contender it didn't seem to have any pressure problems, up to a lightly compressed load using 300grXTP's.  I wouldn't bother to try it with lighter bullets.   I eventually went on to A1680, I couldn't get the Rel7 to group as well.  Both have similar vel. well in excess of 1600...... slight nod for the rel7.  If you want to try it I'd recommend starting at about 32gr's and see from there.  As always YMMV .
America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”        Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:46:15 AM »
Thanx guys, you've given me plenty to think about.  I may just forget the workup and buy a can of 1680....  My original thoughts was why not RL7 since I have it on hand anyway...

Tony