Author Topic: breech will not close  (Read 630 times)

Offline tkeown

• Trade Count: (0)
breech will not close
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
Hi guys new here looking for some help. I have an h&r handi rifle in 243 that was my sond first rifle.Have had the gun 10yrs.have never had any problems with this gun. Well about a week ago while sighting it in a casing stuck in the barrel and would not eject,took a rod and knocked it out ,thinking ejector. But when I went to close the breech it will not close.  HELP

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
Re: breech will not close
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
Sounds like the ejector is the problem and it's sticking possibly gunked up, which could also be why the case stuck.

Handi's don't like a lot of oil, and after a while gunk builds up as the oil attracts all the dirt and grime, and that is most likely the problem.

Taking the ejector out and giving a good cleaning polishing along with the chamber is probably all it needs.

Check out the Frequently asked questions (FAQ's) in the box at the top of this page and scroll down about halfway toward the bottom you will see pictures of the ejector and instructions on how to remove it.

Using the link below, scroll down to "Ejector Tune" and go from there with a good cleaning.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html

Welcome to the forum, and always go to the FAQ's as just about everything and then some is there to answer your problems.

Let us know how it goes.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline gramps1

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »
I just bought a Handi (.223)used yesterday.  Put in a spent casing to use as a snap cap to get used to the action.  Breech will not close, the extractor/ejector doesn't work, and a rod down the barrel doesn't budge the case.  I looked up the above link without succes.  I am mechanically challenged.  I hate to take anything apart since I usually end up with a bag full of parts.
gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 01:06:40 AM »
i just bought a used 223 almost the same problem, would not eject, first i used degreaser on the ejector parts, without dissassebly, ejector still felt like it had a catch to it, so i followed the FAQ and stoned the ejector flats, the ejector worked and but would not eject spent rounds, i then polished the chamber with a mop and flitz, now works like dream
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:21:51 AM »
I just bought a Handi (.223)used yesterday.  Put in a spent casing to use as a snap cap to get used to the action.  Breech will not close, the extractor/ejector doesn't work, and a rod down the barrel doesn't budge the case.  I looked up the above link without succes.  I am mechanically challenged.  I hate to take anything apart since I usually end up with a bag full of parts.
gramps1

WELCOME to the new GUYS!!  :)

Gramps, sorry to read this...  You likely picked up a case that was NOT fired form your gun and its dimensions where too large. When you tried to close the action you forced the case to partially resize to your chamber...but in doing so with no lubrication and its now jambed.. You will need to remove the forend and remove the barrel from the action. I would put the barrel in a vice attached form the barrel lug. Then get a good strong rod inserted form the muzzle and give it a sharp whack. That case will come out and very likely NO damage was done to your gun.

But next time either buy a real snap cap, or make one as outlined in the FAQ's.  ;)

Good luck,
 CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 06:25:04 AM »
I have a chunk of 2x4 cu-toff with a hole bored in the middle big enough for a 45-70 case head, thus about anything will fit.
I can set the dismounted barrel down on the hole and give a good whack on my 'pop-out rod', straight down. Never failed yet and very controllable.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gramps1

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
gramps1

Gramps, sorry to read this...  You likely picked up a case that was NOT fired form your gun and its dimensions where too large. When you tried to close the action you forced the case to partially resize to your chamber...but in doing so with no lubrication and its now jambed.. You will need to remove the forend and remove the barrel from the action. I would put the barrel in a vice attached form the barrel lug. Then get a good strong rod inserted form the muzzle and give it a sharp whack. That case will come out and very likely NO damage was done to your gun.

But next time either buy a real snap cap, or make one as outlined in the FAQ's.  ;)

Good luck,
 CW

Thanks CW Ya'll were spot on.  I'll try the degreaser.  My son is coming over tomorrow, who is mechanically inclined and then I won't feel bad about a pile of parts.  Ha ha.
gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:22:28 PM »
You'll want to do the ejector tune and chamber polish as outlined in the FAQs, there's a real good reason why H&R doesn't make ejector centerfire rifle barrels any more, hasn't for several years, just extractors, but you can make it work with properly sized brass and a little "Handi" knowledge, welcome to all you newbies.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
gramps1

Good luck,
 CW

Thanks CW Ya'll were spot on.  I'll try the degreaser.  My son is coming over tomorrow, who is mechanically inclined and then I won't feel bad about a pile of parts.  Ha ha.
gramps1

Great news!!

Happy to have helped.
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.