Author Topic: Info and help needed with new Handi Ultra  (Read 481 times)

Offline Fred243

• Trade Count: (0)
Info and help needed with new Handi Ultra
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Just picked up my new Handi Ultra Rifle in 243 with 24 inch bull barrel and lamenated thumbhole stock. This is my first one and i have a couple of questions. The latch release button is kinda loose, wiggles around quite a bit and sounds kinda like a rattle. Is this normal ? Also the action is quite hard to open and close, once it's open enough to put a round in it you have to put so much force on it to close it, it slams. Is this also normal for new ? Any advice or info, pointers would be helpful. Seems like this would be bad for the scope.  Thanks in advance :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Info and help needed with new Handi Ultra
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
Welcome! See the Handi Basics 101 sticky,  release button being loose is normal when the action is closed, see Forend Fit in the FAQs and Help sticky to make simple changes to the forend spacer for the action to open easier, or you can send it to H&R for repair.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:09:50 AM »
It is good you got a tightish one; it will break in and get better. Learn how much force to 'close it with authority' is needed, and use no more. If the scope breaks just closing it the scope was no good anyway.
BTW, if you didnt mount the scope, take it off, all the way down to the rail off the barrel, and start over. Use the FAQs; they are your friend.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:37:07 AM »
You will always want to snap the barrel shut hard- not really a slam- but a stout snap.  Congrats on your new gun it is the first step of many along the Handi-itus illness we all share. The FAQ will teach you more about your gun than you may want to know, but if someone has had an issue with a handi... it is pretty much there. Hope it serves you well and you visit here often. 
I have been "slamming" these actions shut probably harder than needed since 2004 and I have yet to hurt a scope. thejanitor

Offline Fred243

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:43:11 AM »
Thanks guys, I guess just being new in this area I wasn't sure what is good ad what is bad. I haven't mounted the scope yet but have been reading all the info provided here. I really love the gun and was surprised to see it has a recessed target crown, that wasn't in the description anywhere. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way  but again thank you for your help ! :)

Offline Fred243

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:20:45 AM »
The scope is a Nikon 4-12x50 with side focus and using a DNZ game Reaper one piece mount. It really is hard too close though. Can someone explain better about the rubber space or washer i could use to help with this problem. The sticky' some of them aren't very helpful in explaining how to actually how to fix it. Thanks so much again guys !! :) ALSO have read some not so good news where the twist rate is concerned 1/10, right now i have 3 different loads i am going to try in it and go from there. The Nosler Custom 90gr E-Tip at 3200fps, the Hornady 80gr GMX at 3425 fps, and the 80gr Barnes TTSX at 3350 fps. Grizzly loads the 90gr Swift Scirrocco to 3150 fps and might try that if i need too. I really like the E-Tip and 100gr shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yards out of my 25-06 into about .6-.7 inches.

Offline Fred243

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a pillar for the forend, it's laminated wood ?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
The FAQs are your friend, see PILLAR BEDDING THE FOREND by LaOtto222, I made one using hardware store aluminum tubing.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain