Author Topic: STEEL CASED AMMO  (Read 1122 times)

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
STEEL CASED AMMO
« on: August 20, 2011, 06:41:19 AM »
My son-in-law bought a bunch of Russian made .308 ammo for his AR. Will the hard steel cases wear the chamber a lot more than our brass cases?

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: STEEL CASED AMMO
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
I shot a couple thousand rounds of the wolf 223 steel case C lacquer coating in my mini 14 & ar15 with no problems.  ;)  I don't just blast though & get the gun real hot.. :)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »
The recent manufacture stuff is polymer coated. It works much better in semi autos than the lacquered cases. Some of the Russian stuff is zinc plated and works well too Neither one are my first ammo choices, but with ammo prices the way they are I bet they're selling a lot of it. The other day I was shooting a group with Silver Bear to compare to my hand loads. I had one of the cases stuck in the chamber of my AR. When I punched it out with my cleaning rod and examined the case, the primer had blown out. Obviously an over pressure load. I've fired thousands of the steel case stuff without prior incident. Guess QC let one slip by. No damage done other than the aggravation.
Savage 
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:40 AM »
I actually shot up about 300 rounds of steel cased Herter's ammo yesterday.  I think it is basically Wolf.  I didn't have any problems.  Accuracy was pretty darn good too when I was actually shooting groups.  I could get 3 rounds under an inch at 100 yards, but 5 rounds would open it up to about 1.5".  I'd say for cheap ammo, that's awesome!

Also, this ammo is boxer primed so it is reloadable regardless of what others say.  You may only be able to get one or two reloads out of it, but it is doable.  Also, if you get done shooting, and you can't find all of the cases, it's not a big deal like it is with brass. 

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Bulk-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/106633080/Herters-223-Ammunition-with-Dry-Box/734635.uts?WTz_l=SBC%3BBRCatalogCustomerReviews

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
the steel in the ammo is very soft and is coated  to prevent rusting be careful when suing the older coated rounds as the coating can heat up and cool fast causing an issue with case removal, they tend to glue them self into the chamber.  I have had a lot of isues with my ar15 short cycling with wolf ammo.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:43 PM »
no problem what so ever with steel.
Or lacquered cases for that matter.
I do however stay away from
the Zinc coated stuff. It does cause a build-up
in the chamber.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline ratdog

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »
my ar likes them but my handi rifle doesn't the wolf were sticking once barrel heated up and the silver bear 62 grainer's key holed bad. i never had a rifle key hole before my handi likes my 55 grain reloads.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
my ar likes them but my handi rifle doesn't the wolf were sticking once barrel heated up and the silver bear 62 grainer's key holed bad. i never had a rifle key hole before my handi likes my 55 grain reloads.

Isn't the Handi a 1-12 twist?
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ratdog

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:53:56 AM »
no my handi is a 1-9 twist same as my ar i think the micro groove my be the culprit.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 10:15:56 AM »
I have shot thousands out of my SKS and knowing the guys who owned it before me I would guess they fired many thousands more out of it. No problems.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
I figured they would be hard on extractors, having to bump into steel instead of brass.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »
Ive shot thousands of rounds of wolf 762x39 through my ar15 and the only problem ive had with it is the lacure finish on it tends to gum things up after a while but a good spraying of electrical cleaner takes care of it. Keep in mind that wolf ammo uses steal jackets instead of copper too and some claim it wears a barrel faster but again ive shot thousands of rounds and have never noticed wear because of it. I try to keep 4 or 5 cases on hand because its just convient to take to camp to plink with. Lots of tall grass around camp and its a bugger to pick up brass. With the wolf i can spray and just leave it.
blue lives matter

Offline ratdog

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
i have at least shot 6  or seven sardine cans of 7.62 in my sks. to look at it you could not tell never jammed or had any problem. just make sure you clean the gun good.