Author Topic: .223 stuck in chamber  (Read 839 times)

Offline gramps1

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 stuck in chamber
« on: October 23, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
OK, i used a previously fired(in an AR) shell as a snap cap to get used to the action and trigger, and it is stuck in the chamber.  I have opened and closed the action multiple times without the ejector/extractor budging it.  I have put a cleaning rod down the bore and pounded with absolutely nothing happening.  Without going to a gunsmith what else can be done?  Yes, I have looked through FAQ's and done searches(I am tired of reading about soft shell crabs!).  Thanks in advance.
gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: .223 stuck in chamber
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 08:27:56 PM »
Get a brass rod that fits down the bore or a cleaning rod that has no brush or jag on it.  Whack it with a hammer and out it will come.  hitting the plastic end of the rod probably won't get it done, you need to hit metal on metal I would say.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »
I have a long brass rod that just fits down the barrel of a .22, brass won't hurt the rifling.  I use a brass hammer and out they come.  I also have them in .30 cal, .45 cal, and .50 cal.  I hate going to a gunsmith.  While working up subsonic loads I sometimes went too light, and needed to use those rods.

While I don't recommend it, have seen armorers use a polished steel rod on M-16s to remove hard stuck cases with no damage. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
You can use a steel rod, just wrap some tape at about 4-6" intervals as a buffer to the rifling. The best length is only a few inches longer than the barrel. If you are afraid of missing the rod with the hammer drill a rod dia. hole thru a piece of wood, about 4" long to slip over and down to the muzzle. Place the breech end on a 2x4 block with a cartridge head size hole in it on the shop floor.
A couple of sharp raps with a mid-sized hammer should free it. With a set up like this I can sit on my stool holding the barrel straight and square with the base block and hold it with my knees while I hold at the muzzle with my off hand (I tend to use my hand around things as the buffer, thus an incentive not to miss). Its a good idea to keep some grasp around the rod as it might want to 'jump' a bit.
Most cleaning rods are too flexy to really impart the blow to the stuck case well. The other problem is that if you dont have a brass (usually) 8x32 screw in the end you will permanently mess up the threads for the jags!!!; and if you hit the handle with a hammer you are likely to bust it.
You can get a length of rod at your local metal supply dealer or machineshop, or there are some racks at the home centers now with metal lengths.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Gohon

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
I've not tried this and don't even know if it would work, but since brass contracts more than steel, you might try sticking the barrel in the freezer for a hour or so and then try knocking the case out. 

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:03:03 AM »
Or:
Drill the primer/case out
Tap to 1/4 x 20
Set a socket down that the casehead can slide up into
Using a washer an 1/4 x 20 bolt, screw it in; it will pull the case out
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline gramps1

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
The local hardware store only had steel rods.  I got a 3/16, which is .187 they said.  two sharp raps with the hammer and voila it was free.  I looked everywhere(ACE, NAPA, AND O'REILIY'S) for some FLITZ to polish the chamber, but came up empty handed.  No one had heard of it.  So where to obtain?  So far ya'll are spot on.  THANKS!!!
gramps1
NRA Life Member

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
I've used wooden dowel rods that fit loose down the bore cut off about two inches longer than the barrel and using a plastic mallet whack away.

I've done this a couple times to dislodge bullets not casing but what the heck it worked and I didn't have to worry about messing up the rifling.

A little lube goes a long way, and it is your friend.
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline JMcDonald

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »
I've found sometimes I had to forcefully open the rifle up to get the extractor to force the case out of the chamber. Basically the action was only opening as far as until the ejector would normally be actuated, and I realized I just needed more force to go the rest of the way.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 11:20:22 AM »
The local hardware store only had steel rods.  I got a 3/16, which is .187 they said.  two sharp raps with the hammer and voila it was free.  I looked everywhere(ACE, NAPA, AND O'REILIY'S) for some FLITZ to polish the chamber, but came up empty handed.  No one had heard of it.  So where to obtain?  So far ya'll are spot on.  THANKS!!!
gramps1

You might check Ace Hardware if you have one around. Pretty sure that is where I got mine at.

Lonny

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
Now that the case is out, you should have no further problems.  Some AR types leave a case with a slight almost unnoticiable bulge around the base.  That is probably what caused the problem.  Especially if it was a military loading.  Take it out and shoot it, that's the best thing to do.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gramps1

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »
I shot it twelve times.  8 PMC fmj and 55 grs, and 4 Remington 50 gr jhp.  Started at 25 yds and backed up to 40 yards.  All on an 8x11 target.  No more FTE.  I see by the serial number that it was made in 2007.  .  So it has an extractor instead of the ejector.  It hasn't been used/shot much, and I plan on changing that.  I will need to full length size the AR casings, when I reload them.  The gun has a Bull Barrel.  Loud report with very little kick.  It sports a 2.5 to 10 power scope.  No name on it.  On the left hand side opposite the adjuster is the picture of a ground squirrel/hog.  Does anyone know who makes this?  The gunstock appears to be a nice grade of Walnut with a deep rich color.  All in all I am glad I bought it.
gramps1 
NRA Life Member