Author Topic: 45-70 BRASS ?  (Read 369 times)

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
45-70 BRASS ?
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
I like to ask can you use the Hornady brass  for the lever action rifle :The brass seem .050 shorter then factory spec: in another 45-70 rifle
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-70-Government-325-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: 45-70 BRASS ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
It can be reloaded if you use FTX bullets, modify your crimp/seater die, or buy Hornady dies.  I see no reason the use the ammo or the brass unless you can get the brass for free.  I'm using it for plinking loads.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45-70 BRASS ?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
 What you have is Leverevolution brass. It's about .070" shorter than standard brass. I unknowingly picked up some at a gunshow. I was priced at $20.00 for 50 pieces of primed, and I jumped on what I thought was  a good deal.
 I ws able to load it with my RCBS dies, but since it was so short I couldn't crimp it, so I bought a Lee Factory Crimp die. I then had to grind off .100" in order to get it to work and I'm still not convinced it's crimping correctly, but since I shoot a single shot it's not that big of a deal.
 If you have the Hornady dies you'll be fine using the brass but bear in mind the decreased case volume when working up loads. I shoot Trapdoor loads in my Handi so it's not much of a concern for me, but if you're shooting full power stuff you might have an over pressure situation.
 I load mine with 405 gr cast bullets but OAL isn't that big of a deal in a Handi. A levergun might not feed properly with the lessened OAL, I really don't know.
 I'll continue to use mine until it needs to be replaced, but I'll never buy it again. Too much of a hassle.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor