Author Topic: Need some measurments for an idea  (Read 357 times)

Offline WyomingWhitetail

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some measurments for an idea
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:07:26 AM »
Ok so im day dreaming about custom handis again. I think a handi rifle with a custom made stock in walnut or maple, brass or steel trigger guard forarm end and butt plate, with a medium heavy octagon barrel chambered in some odd old cartridge, (40-65 maybe) would just be neater than all get out. Im thinking that the easiest way to do this would be to do a barrel stub job. I would like to do the drop in from the breech style but with an octagon barrel i dont think i could due to size constraints, so that leaves me with threading the barrel in and maybe putting a locking nut on the back. What i need is a diameter of the receiver. We only have one handi, (my fiances 223, but its at my parents house five hours away.) Im thinking that i could get an octagon barrel the right size and turn the end down to fit in the receiver and thread and stuff and then use the ball end mill to blend the transistion from round receiver to octagon barrel. If i get time i might make something up in solid works to get a rough idea. I could be the only one around with a 100s of hours invested in a 300 dollar rifle.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need some measurments for an idea
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:34:14 AM »
Or just have another H&R barrel rebored and milled as I did.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=233127.msg1099306550#msg1099306550
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline WyomingWhitetail

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:49 AM »
well i thought about that as well as that really is a beautiful job and im jealous as i want a 405 so bad. But while i have access to a pretty good lathe the mill that i have access to is fairly small and im way more comfortable on the lathe anyway. Also if i used the stock barrel i would be limited to the size and length of that and i was thinking of a slightly longer barrel (around 30 in or so). Also i would then have to pay for the rebore plus put a ton of work into milling the barrel where as a new barrel would cost about the same as a rebore and i would just have to turn it to fit the stub which i know i could do right.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
All H&R standard barrels(non 10ga) are 1.1XX" in diameter at the chamber swell, the 10ga based barrels are 1.2XX".

My mill is just a mini-mill, doing a 30" straight octagon wouldn't be so bad, but a tapered would be a nightmare I think.  :-\

Have fun with your project,

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline WyomingWhitetail

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
And that's another thing as a tapered barrel would really make it handle a lot nicer and i can buy pre tapered ones for probably a lot less than i could figure out how to mill one.