Author Topic: Aikido Class  (Read 186 times)

Offline Shu

• Trade Count: (0)
Aikido Class
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
I went to Aikido class again. This time it was the Sensei and the 14 year old girl there. I go through the warmups with them and the Sensei asks if I mind being the Uke (practice dummy)for the young lady. I have no problem with this, I enjoy a good work out from time to time. I wasn't sure which defense techniques she was doing but they are all pretty basic. So I slowly throw a righ punch and she traps my hand and does a wrist lock correctly sliding me off balance and throwing me. The young lady knows I won't just let her throw me she has to do the techniques correctly. After running through all he requirements for her belt level the Sensai then had her defend against different attacks randomly. She did great, evading, blocking and thorwing me about. He thought it would be good that I got tossed around some more obviously. It was a very fun evening. The young lady unknown to me and her just passed her orange belt test. She went from yellow to orange. I was happy to be a part of it. What I learned was some of those throws and locks get painful the next day. I was a bit beat up and sore.
Anymore my own belt ranking means little to me, it was great to be able to help this young lady advance.  I wish some of the other students had her work ethic. Her test wasn't flawless but she did a great job.  I really look forward to her next belt test. I bought a large bottle of tylenol so I am ready.
Martial arts for kids and adults is great. You don't have to be all bruised up to have a good time.
Besides you may learn something new if you aren't careful.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Aikido Class
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
My son is big into Jujitsu with the addition of moves from a couple other disciplines and is well respected for his abilities.  He has told me time and again that to roll with an equal seems to be a waste since neither makes any great strides in knowledge.  He prefers to square off with someone who should be more advanced or work with the kids.  His 6 yo daughter is to the point already that we feel good about her physical and mental well being because of what she has learned.    The 3 yo is picking up only the physical side so far and can be dangerous.  Enjoy helping the young ones but be careful.

Offline Casull

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
Hahahaha Shu.  You got beat up by a 14 year old girl.  Just kidding.  That's great.  Nice to see kids involved in more wholesome stuff like that.  When my wife and I were dating a long, long time ago, she received her black belt in Tae Kwondo.  Made it in about two years (but she was going to like 6 to 8 classes a week for most of that time).  I took a few Karate classes with my daughter when she was about 13 or 14, but I was always more of a boxer when I was younger.  Now, that I'm pushing 50, I realize that's why I have a CCW.    ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Shu

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 01:21:14 AM »
Yep, a little girl beat me up especially a beginner. :P I have black belts from multiple styles and about 30 years of experience. 

When you work with the kids, you can see the light go on in thier eyes when they learn something. That is the best reward.

Casull,
I have a CCW and am pushing 50 also. There are many reasons to study a martial art. I have never seen a class where they beat up on someone of your advanced years. :o ::)

I watched a Tae Kwon Do instructor testing students one day. There was a 68 year old man who just recieved his yellow belt. He was the instructors dad.