Author Topic: Puzzling Phone Conversation  (Read 706 times)

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Puzzling Phone Conversation
« on: November 01, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
Hello, everyone.  Today, I called up hodgdon, to see if they had any new loading data for the .32WCF (.32-20).  The tech, said he had data for Universal, Titegroup, TrailBoss..a couple of others, I cannot remember.
    When I asked about IMR SR4756..he said he had no data for this powder.  Yet Lyman's No. 49 lists loads using this powder?  It seems to me the maker (or the company which bought out IMR) would have this information.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
Re: Puzzling Phone Conversation
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 03:05:33 PM »
Just because it's powder, doesn't mean it's ment for every use.
IMR SR4756 is for shotgun and Large Pistol, a 32-20 ain't large.

So the answer is it's simply not a powder that Hodgdons recomends for the 32-20,, they hand no reason to test it for load recomendations,

Hodgdons Load data can be found here; http://www.hodgdon.com/basic-manual-inquiry.html
32-20 is under the pistol data
found elsewhere

Offline MZ5

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 03:28:06 PM »
My answer is different.  As with the previous answer, my answer is just my opinion.

Hodgy doesn't feel like generating data for that powder/cartridge combo.

Use Lyman's data; they do an outstanding job of supporting us (shooters) in reloading, and particularly in cast bullet and cowboy-type reloading.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:51:28 AM »
My answer is different.  As with the previous answer, my answer is just my opinion.

Hodgy doesn't feel like generating data for that powder/cartridge combo.

Use Lyman's data; they do an outstanding job of supporting us (shooters) in reloading, and particularly in cast bullet and cowboy-type reloading.

I completely agree! I believe they CHOOSE not to develops data for such a obscure powder.

I like this powder and have used it as well as PB and the other "SR" powders in a number of  other calibers as well as in my light 32/20 loadings. PB is especially a favorite!

I also suggest you just use old data, if you do not have once I get power back I would be happy to scan and send to you.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
Ok, so I said it wrong, my point is they don't have the data because they didn't test it,,, they have other data because they feel there's better powder for the application,,
just sayin,,
found elsewhere

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:25:28 PM »
Were you talking to the wrong company? IMR is the new name for Du Pont. I think Hodgen also makes a 4756 but I doubt they call it IMR 4756.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
Hodgdons ownes IMR and Winchester powders. Check out the link I posted above.
found elsewhere

Offline MZ5

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Were you talking to the wrong company? IMR is the new name for Du Pont. I think Hodgen also makes a 4756 but I doubt they call it IMR 4756.

The IMR name is owned by Hodgdon.  The Winchester name is owned by Olin Corporation, but licensed to Hodgdon for use in labeling smokeless powders.  ALL Winchester powders are manufactured by General Dynamics in St. Marks, FL.  Most IMR powders are manufactured by General Dynamics in the old DuPont IMR facility in Quebec, but some IMR powders are now manufactured by Thales in Australia.  Hodgy doesn't manufacture smokeless powder at all.  They buy it from Thales and General Dynamics, and then (re-)package it.

As an aside, Olin licenses the Winchester name to Fabrique Nationale (FN) for use in labeling rifles and shotguns.  The Winchester name is retained by Olin for use in labeling primers and ammunition, which Olin still manufactures itself.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
Wow, did I get out of date in a hurry.