Author Topic: Un-known lead?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Propdoc03

• Trade Count: (0)
Un-known lead?
« on: December 31, 2003, 05:36:59 AM »
I had a buddy gave me two bricks of lead, they may even by a tad larger than a normal brick. I am assuming they are pure lead, is there a way to know sure other than ordering a lead hardness tester? Also, do these testers work on large ingots or do they only work on bullets?

Thanks PD

Offline richp41

Un-known lead?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 05:49:06 AM »
If you have an alloy thermometer and melting equipment, you can do a phase diagram of the metal. If you plateau at 620 degrees you probably have pure lead. Alloys will plateau at lower temperatures. Rich P

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Un-known lead?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 06:38:08 AM »
I dunno nuttin about phase diagrams and plateaus but if you can easily scratch the lead with your finger nail it is nearly pure lead. If Linotype you can't even begin to scratch it. If wheel weights you might be able to scratch a bit. Those are the most common alloys you might run across and a quick and real dirty test of which it might be.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Un-known lead?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 11:46:33 AM »
The phase diagram is easy to do.  Melt the mystery metal.  Watch the temperature decrease as it cools.  There will be a plateau when some of the metal is frozen and some is still liquid - just like ice and water.  Record that temperature.  That tells you a lot.  If it's pure, it'll be (what is it 620dF?).  Otherwise it's an alloy of lead and something else or several somethings.

The scratch test is good too.  You'll know right off if you need to add tin and or antimony to harden it.  You can also try melting and dropping a few of the bullets into water to see how much  (or if) they harden.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline waksupi

Un-known lead?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 11:04:02 PM »
Melt lead.

Cast bullet.

Shoot.

Did it work?

Throw away?

Keep?

Problem solved.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Un-known lead?
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 04:33:26 AM »
Yup that's pretty much the approach I take. Iffen it works I keep on doing it. Iffen it don't I do sumpin else.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Robert

It is easy with 12 gauge Lyman slugs
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 06:31:28 AM »
If they ring like bells they are hard, if they just go 'thunk' when you tap them, they are soft.
....make it count

Offline Alice Cooper

• Avid Poster
Un-known lead?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 03:50:13 PM »
i use range lead, it's a mix of everything. i melt it, clean it, cast it, shoots good enough for me,at pistol ranges anyway.i use a lee tumble lube bullet or the 45 acp, and it loads fine ! the cast lead bullets lead a little in my blackhawk, but not at all in a smith ...if i can melt it, i can shoot it!
don't fry bacon naked!

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
Un-known lead?
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 10:27:51 PM »
If the stuff is too hard, you may want to consider using a gas check. A really hard alloy will not flatten at the base upon firing and allow gas cutting. This is when the hot gasses from the powder charge melt the bullet as it's leaving the barrel and smear your barrel with lead.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline jgalar

Un-known lead?
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2004, 03:52:11 AM »
Dang flash! This is the second time today that I am in total agreement with you! Everyone thinks you need hard lead. Sometimes you get more leading with hard lead than soft. A softer bullet will also obturate to the bore better than a hard bullet.