Author Topic: Colt Signature Dragoon  (Read 525 times)

Offline propwash

• Trade Count: (0)
Colt Signature Dragoon
« on: January 06, 2004, 06:28:17 AM »
Hello everyone, been watching this site but don't write at all. Good info. I"ve got a question concerning a Colt Signature series Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon. I added this gun to the battery in '99. bought it new from Colt and have yet to even turn it. I have been wanting to shoot the thing lately since I have the most fun shooting my black powder firearms. My question is this: is it worth keeping in unused condition or just shoot it? I usually think they are meant to use rather than look at. thanks.

Offline The Shrink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Colt Signature Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 01:47:36 AM »
Propwash

Very literally your answer lies in what you value.  I have a Smith & Wesson model 3 Schofield from the custom shop sitting in the presentation case that I don't even have ammunition for, and don't intend to get any.  But then, I have plenty to shoot.  It would be months before I got stuff together to shoot it if I decide to do so.  Will it loose dollar value if shot?  Of course, there's no question of that.  Will I value it more or less if I use it?  To me, there is more value in what I use than what I don't.  Will I shoot it?  Probably not, but that's mostly because I'm busy shooting the other guns I have.  

If I only measure value by dollar value there are many things I would not do and keep my money in the bank and in investments.  Oh, I know guns are an investment, but I also know I'll probably never sell one, my kids will have to do that after I die!  And I know that an inflexible investment is not a good investment, reguardless how it performs financially, because I'm too locked into it to sell if that will maximize my return.  

To shoot or not to shoot is a question of your value more than a question of the dollar value.  If the dollars are more important to you, keep it unfired and, if you are like me, let your kids realize the profit.  If the shooting fun is more important, than shoot it and have fun.  It will still be a Colt, and more valuable than the Italian replicas.  It may even develop holster wear!  Just take good care of it and the wear becomes part of it's heritage.  

Wayne
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!