Author Topic: Another thread apparently locked..  (Read 1015 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Another thread apparently locked..
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:07:21 AM »
  I found this thread apparently locked;

Topic: Ows protesters are asked whose more dangerous?? Rush?? Or al qaeda??  (Read 639 times

Now, there could have been a very good reason, but we will never know why; I certainly wondered...  A explanation in a short, closing post by the monitor, would help greatly.  That way, we may not make the same mistake again, whatever it was.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline XD40SC

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Another thread apparently locked..
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »
When the one on evolution got locked; I as why and never got a reply??

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:32:50 AM »
If I had to guess, I'd guess it was me.  a mod that I won't name is mad at me.  maybe I'll tone it down.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Shu

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »
Point counter point is great. Moderating is tough. Sometimes there is some namecalling it is pretty tame here.  Personally I'd like to see a note like "I am locking this thread due to idiocy" or maybe "this thread is way off topic bring it back or it's locked" or even "I am locking this thread becuase member X , Y and Z can't follow the forum rules"
The Mods of this section haven't been modifying peoples posts which is nice and they are pretty even handed IMO.

Online nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:47:58 AM »
Point counter point is great. Moderating is tough. Sometimes there is some namecalling it is pretty tame here.  Personally I'd like to see a note like "I am locking this thread due to idiocy" or maybe "this thread is way off topic bring it back or it's locked" or even "I am locking this thread becuase member X , Y and Z can't follow the forum rules"
The Mods of this section haven't been modifying peoples posts which is nice and they are pretty even handed IMO.

Its obvious why they lock a thread....because they are thinking one or both of the above... or some other negative...so they lock it. No big deal.

..TM7

The flaming and name calling on this forum has escalated lately.Some are good at fanning the flames without appearing to go over the line. Some just blow their top and go all out with name calling and personal attacks. Either way it's a violation of GB's rules and will be addressed by a mod. Several of you, are making it difficult on the moderators and other posters because you ignore the rules. You know who you are! I have sent personal PM'S to you in the past addressing these issues. We don't have time to explain every action we take on the thread concerning locking  or editing them

Below is a quote from Duk from his sticky on moderating and talking about moderating. He explains very clearly the reasons for getting one locked down or editing the thread.

GBO will not tolerate "Flame Wars" if you feel the need to constantly flame people then you are at the wrong web site and should leave now.  Anyone violating this policy is subject to removal from the GBO website for a length of time decided by the Administration.

Personal Attacks are considered unacceptable at GBO and will result in removal from the GBO website, the manner in which these are handled will be at the discretion of the Administration. In cases of continued disagreements in open forum by multiple parties equal action will be taken with all involved parties, no one member will be shown special consideration in such cases regardless of membership status.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »
Too many personal attacks and name calling was going on. It just wasn't worth my time to remove the offensive posts and keep it open so I locked it.

While I'm on the subject I got this from one of the moderators who will remain anonymous so don't bother asking who it was.

Subject: Problems with trouble makers

Just logged on and see you had to lock a forum on the political forum.
There are several on here that are really getting out of hand and fail to heed any warnings we give them. They cannot keep from making personal attacks, and flaming in general.The ones I have the most trouble with are Bugeye, Billy, Powderman, Mcwoodduck, IG and Casull . Once in a while TM7 and Yt go overboard, but usually after being attacked first. Would it be asking too much for a cooling off period for these fellows? They really make it tough on moderators. I want to be fair and at the same time help keep the forum running smoothly, but lately I'm not sure I'm doing the site justice. Any help or advice would be appreciated GB.

So is that what it is going to take to get you guys to follow the simple rules here a week or two of time out as if you were a child who can't behave?

You know who you are even without the names listed above. You constantly attach each other and call each other names as bad as kids on a playground. Address the subject of the thread and talk ideas NOT personalities and persons.

I've told moderators to just delete any post that violates the rules. Don't waste time trying to edit to leave what's useful and don't offer explanations. You know when you violate the rules and you should know that if you do the post will be deleted.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »

The flaming and name calling on this forum has escalated lately.......................

Exactly and I'm wondering if the "Report to Moderator" feature is actually read
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 04:24:41 PM »
I read every single one of them. I don't necessarily take any action but I read them all fromevery forum. I expect the moderators to handle most but if I think it needs my attention then it gets it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »
IG...

FYI, the 'hotel banning islamophobic meeting' was also locked which was going along OK despite some people's accusative tone and grenade throwing, but I thought it was going along OK....To answer your question it seems the self-styled conservatives have a 'hair trigger' and turn the narrative pretty nasty and fast, inuendo, accusative, vitrolic quite rapidly when others more moderate express an opinion....simple intolerance regarding differences of opinion....I've noticed that calling another poster a 'lier' has been normalized to a large degree. It gets pretty personal with self styled conservatives real quick...just my observation. Pretty much the self-styled conservatives set the tone and practices here.  Any normal guy will defend himself or ask for 'clarification' when assaulted in such fashion.

..TM7

Self Styled Conservative is used here 3 times. Curiuos, is there a take-away message in this or is it a case of short term memory? ;)
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:54:56 PM »
"Once in a while TM7 and Yt go overboard, but usually after being attacked first."

That just makes me laugh out loud.......BIGTIME!!  ;D

Added;
"........equal action will be taken with all involved parties, no one member will be shown special consideration in such cases regardless of membership status."    :o
Thats pretty funny too!   ;D 

" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 11:01:14 PM »
"Once in a while TM7 and Yt go overboard, but usually after being attacked first."

Added;
"........equal action will be taken with all involved parties, no one member will be shown special consideration in such cases regardless of membership status."    :o
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
  Agreed...on some points.   
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 11:25:34 PM »
The whole reason I like coming to this site is that people can have a coherent discussion of what's on their mind without "most" people trolling or flaming.  When I first started on this site I was really bad about personal attacks on people.  GB and Matt banned my IP address and I deserved it.  When I pulled my head out of my butt and realized that this is their site with their ruled and adjusted my attitude accordingly I discovered that it's about the friendliest website a person can go to.  I've not seen anyones post locked or blocked that didn't deserve it.  Keep up the good work GB and Matt.
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline powderman

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 03:26:20 AM »
Once in a while TM7 and Yt go overboard, but usually after being attacked first."

HEH, I got a good chuckle out of that too. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline SwampThing762

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 06:49:27 AM »
Self-styled conservatives set the tone here?  That's news to me.  I thought GB and his Mod Staff set the tone here.   I think the libs are the ones with hair triggers around here, but that is just my opinion.    Kudos to GB and his Mod Staff for keeping the peace, as we ALL make that an oft-times difficult task.

ST762
We learned the true nature of Islam on 11 Sept 2001.

Show your appreciation for Islam....eat more bacon.

"Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam." (Not to us Lord, not us, but to your name give the glory)  -- Knights Templar motto

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 06:55:52 AM »
most new threads that show some conservatism are immediately attacked by one person.

edited to add; if it's about religion, make that two persons.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »

Added;

Just speaking, (laughing), from past personal experience and observation of others......Thats all! Nothing "veiled" about it. No creepy conspiracy. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
For fear of being censored, that is all I'll say on the matter. Have a nice day!   :)
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline bigMikeA

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 02:18:30 PM »

Added;

Just speaking, (laughing), from past personal experience and observation of others......Thats all! Nothing "veiled" about it. No creepy conspiracy. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
For fear of being censored, that is all I'll say on the matter. Have a nice day!   :)

Gotta agree with saddlebum.