Author Topic: Pardner - Correct way to attach sling hardware?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Pardner - Correct way to attach sling hardware?
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
Hi All,
     As mentioned elsewhere, bought a 20 ga. Noticed it doesn't have any sling mounting hardware. What's the right way to go about putting some on?

I guess if one really wanted to be cheap one could bore a couple of holes in it (or slots) Mosin-Nagant Style, but seems to me the typical mountings are for detachable rings.

Anything special to that, or is it just a matter of screwing the mountings into the wood?

Other than cost, can't imagine why they left this out on what's obstensibly a "working" gun. I 'spose trap and skeet guns are one thing, but a clear case of a hunting tool, strikes me as odd. Anyone else think so?

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
Re: Pardner - Correct way to attach sling hardware?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 03:49:37 AM »
I would go with a barrel band type for the front swivel. about 3" in front of the wood. you'll have to measure the barrel in the spot you want to put it . Uncle Mikes makes several sizes.  When drilling and installing the rear mount I put Bow wax on the threads  to make screwing it in the wood easier. I also install the rear mounr 3 to 31/2" fron the toe(heel) of the stock.
JMO

Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 06:27:05 AM »
As a tool for hunting I don't see the need for a sling. None of the old guys I learned from had slings and shook their heads at the city folks that had' em. That said, I think for a woods walking and go everywhere, do it all type of gun it's essential. IMHO the setup that Foggy recommended is the best. The stud will definitely take a bite out of your hand if you're not careful. I also like the placement of the stud on the storearm forensic that comes on survivor models.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
Keep a length of 'twine in your pocket, or make up a simple slip around setup from that cheap nylon webbing. The only time I want a sling on is when my hands are full cause Im carrying too much stuff. On one I put the stud in the bottom of the pistol grip so it didnt mess up the buttstock for one of those stretchy shell carrier thingies, the QR swivel on there and a handsewn tightish loop up front to slip over the barrel and it was 'handi' in a pinch, even though the gun tends to want to go horizontal. A few times I just put the thing around the back of my neck and let the gun hang across in front of me while I carried the aforementioned 'too much stuff'.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
Keep a length of 'twine in your pocket, or make up a simple slip around setup from that cheap nylon webbing. The only time I want a sling on is when my hands are full cause Im carrying too much stuff. On one I put the stud in the bottom of the pistol grip so it didnt mess up the buttstock for one of those stretchy shell carrier thingies, the QR swivel on there and a handsewn tightish loop up front to slip over the barrel and it was 'handi' in a pinch, even though the gun tends to want to go horizontal. A few times I just put the thing around the back of my neck and let the gun hang across in front of me while I carried the aforementioned 'too much stuff'.

Interesting idea. Makes me think that if I make a continuous loop out of some sort of not-to-stretchy cord, that I could loop around the barrel and  grip for those times when I need to be hands free, which admittedly, would be less frequent.

Wish I knew the name for the sort of loop I'm seeing in my minds eye, where you sort of loop the cord back around on itself and put the barrel through... let me see if I can find a pic on the web....

Here's the idea... could do one of these in each end of a continous loop... Larks' Head or Cow's Hitch:

http://guenean.com/Images/tw%20-%20larkshead.png

Here's an interesting approach I just tripped over...

http://www.outdoorconnectiononline.com/prodimages/graphics/001%20Slings/006%20BB/Brown%20Bag%20on%20shotgun.jpg

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
I'd think something similar, only out of leather.  Just tie the boot on over your stock and tie the string above on the barrel.  ;)

http://www.octobercountry.com/products/OC-Universal-Sling.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »
Works for me. :)

Gotta love the simplicity of these firearms.

Offline mjh

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
Yea could get one of those fancy leather slings made for the high end doubles I'm sure I payed under $40 for mine., loop goes round the stock high closer to the breach and a loop around the barrel, no hardware no maring on the barrel.  I do have one but would say proper handling of the arm goes a long way, the loop on the barrel tends to slip around a bit and yea have to watch it.  I've been known to carry quiet a lot of gear and the sling did come in handy, just don't know if I would use it for a day out in the field, several days and a heavy pack and it was useful.

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »
Junior1942 sells a sling on his website (Google "The Frugal Outdoorsman") which attaches to the pistol grip IIRC.  I don't know how well it would work with a long barreled shotty-gun but you guys might want to check it out.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 11:24:39 AM »
Don't know if you only want a sling, or just something to carry the shotgun with.  If it's just something utilitarian, that you can carry the shotgun in try this.  It's military surplus, it can be carried in or attached to a backpack, or by using the attached sling over your shoulder.  It's not pretty, but it works.  Comes in black, tan, and of course OD.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 07:31:20 PM »
Don't know if you only want a sling, or just something to carry the shotgun with.  If it's just something utilitarian, that you can carry the shotgun in try this.  It's military surplus, it can be carried in or attached to a backpack, or by using the attached sling over your shoulder.  It's not pretty, but it works.  Comes in black, tan, and of course OD.

Actually I rather like it. Didn't realize it's a manufactered item. Was thinking how I could create the same thing. Sort of like a holster for the shotgun.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 03:59:19 AM »
Should work great for carrying your didgeridoo too......
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »

Actually I rather like it. Didn't realize it's a manufactered item. Was thinking how I could create the same thing. Sort of like a holster for the shotgun.
Sportsmans Guide sells them. 

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/search/eSearch.aspx?SearchTerms=molle%20shotgun%20scabbard&eMode=

Also gave you a couple of different options.

It should also work  ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »

:o  did what?  :o   lol
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »
tacklebury - didgeridoo, pronounced like: "did - it - to - my - roo", loosely translated as  :-X :-X :-X ;D . (Just kidding, I have no idea of how it's really pronounced, I think it's did-ger-id-oo, a musical instrument used by the indigenous people of Australia.)

I can see from your lack of knowledge that you don't speak Australian.  Your punishment is to make six shims using Fosters beer,  ;D or watch the entire season of "Survivor: Australia",  :P ;D .

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »
ROFL, well the fosters is fine bud.  ;)  I'm gonna have to skip the Survivor though, lol.  Had about enough "reality" tv...  ;)

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »
 Can you play me didgeridoo-blue? While you are playing that you should tie me kangaroo down sport. ;D

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 03:08:05 AM »
Fosters and a Veggimite sandwich while listening to didgeridoo blues........goodonya mate!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline flmason

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 03:27:17 AM »
Our local 'Outback Steakhouse' has some smaller ones hanging on the wall that would fit the shotgun case, Oh, and great food too!
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special