Author Topic: another 35 rem. ?  (Read 450 times)

Offline Flashole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
another 35 rem. ?
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:02:53 PM »
Using new 35rem brass, some reloading info suggest to run a 375 tapered expander then come back and resize back to 35.   I'm not sure how this is done.  More over not sure what type of expander to use.  I'm pretty sure I'm just going to neck size.  At the moment all I own is a new to me 35 rem. contender.

=FLASH=
=FLASH=

Offline gordie

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: another 35 rem. ?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
doesn't sound like a good idea .

just fl re-size w/ std. dies.

once fired in your gun, then neck size.

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
Once I get this supposed brass issue resolved I was planning on neck sizing fired brass.  An issue with the shoulder setting to far back on new brass is what I'm trying to figure out.  Brought this up just after I purchased the new barrel on the contender page.  Sounds like there  can be a lot of misfires from brass not fitting correctly.  The info I read could have been published  long time ago and the brass is now manufactured correctly.  Just don't want to start on the wrong foot.  Don't mind taking the extra steps.  I'm clueless as to what I need to purchase in order to get the new brass necked up to 375.

=FLASH_=
=FLASH=

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »
The procedure you are asking about is usually used when a firearm has excess headspace. The case is necked up
and then partially neck sized back down to its origional caliber. When necking down its done in steps to create a shoulder on the case so that it actually chambers with feeling or a crush fit. Upon firing the shoulder and the base of the case are longer to make up for the excess headspace. Sometimes this is done when making 9.3x57mm cases out of regular 8mm cases. Since only norma makes 9.3x57mm cases this is a good cheaper way to make them out of the more common 8mm brass. Frank

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »
I have shot plenty of reloads through my 35 Rem Handi without a problem. This case requires just a bit more care not set the shoulder back but that has not been difficult to date. I have had a few experienced Handi owners here caution me against neck sizing for the Handi simply because of the potential that the action will not lock up perfectly. In most cases you will only notice it by the inconsistent accuracy and perhaps off-center primer strikes.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »
The procedure you are asking about is usually used when a firearm has excess headspace. The case is necked up
and then partially neck sized back down to its original caliber. When necking down its done in steps to create a shoulder on the case so that it actually chambers with feeling or a crush fit. Upon firing the shoulder and the base of the case are longer to make up for the excess headspace.  Frank

I agree, the Lil 35 has a problematic "weak" shoulder and can be a problem is some actions...  What is the firearm?  What is the brass?

Marlins and bolt guns for example generally will be just fine as the extractor will hold the case against the bolt. Effectively forcing zero headspace. (Without regard for chamber dimensions) While handis for example will be greatly effected by the small "weak'' shoulder. Accuracy may suffer on first shot...

I have found Rem Brass to be quite soft and problematic for this. Once fired a couple times its now "work hardened" and better.

Are you experiencing any problems?

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Flashole

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »
I'm clueless as to what I need to purchase in order to get the new brass necked up to 375.
RCBS Neck Expander Die 375: Product #: 763019 RCBS #: 39833

No longer Clueless
=FLASH=