Author Topic: Hunting Classic  (Read 711 times)

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Hunting Classic
« on: August 05, 2003, 11:49:14 AM »
We went to the Bass Pro Shop Hunting Classic last weekend. They always have good sales, and there are seminars by the Redhead pro staff and others. This year they had Bob Faulkrod from Redhead, and Craig Boddington from G&A magazine. I was looking forward to hearing from them both. After the talk, they hung around for a while, and everyone was waiting their turn to talk to them. I waited quite a while, being completely ignored by Boddington, who looked at me standing there several times. I guess if you don't want to ask questions about Africa, he's not interested. There was a woman with Faulkrod, and she was giving me the sign that he would be with me next. He finally looked right at me, and before I had a chance to say anything, he turned around and walked away. They say that you shouldn't try to meet people that you admire because you could be disappointed - they're right! After that I was more than ready to go. Next year, I'll stay away from the crowds.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Hunting Classic
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 02:32:05 PM »
I have talked with Bob Folkrod a couple of times at different hunting shows in Wisconsin.  He was always friendly and more than willing to give me free autographed pictures for my boys.  (they thought it was a real big deal cuz he was on a lot of the hunting videos we watched). But these were relatively small shows with his crowd being probably less than 100 people per lecture.  One time we were at an indoor 3-D shoot and I had shot the first 6 targets with all 10's.  On the next target I happened to look behind me and there he was watching me . . . I shot a 5  :oops: I looked back at him.  He just smiled and walked away.  I suppose they talk to so many people that they just figure enough is enough and walk away... I have had it happen with other "celebrities".
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Darrell Davis

Hunting Classic
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 05:00:57 PM »
:D Hey there hunters,

Have my own story of sorts about "name people."

Grew up reading Jack O'Conner, and figured he must be "the man" if there was one.

In the early 60s I moved to a town about 30-40 miles from the place Jack called home. I was unaware of this fact when I began to hear about this Jack O'Conner who lived in Lewiston, Idaho and wrote for a magazine.

What I heard was funny in some cases, and worse in others and I just knew it couldn't be my Jack O'Conner.

Well, it was!  And I guess if there is any moral to this story at all it is that we all come complete with faults and don't all ring everyones bell all the time.

Still enjoy going into Lolo's sporting goods that still looks and smells like it did when Jack used to go there, and still enjoy looking at the old black and white photograph of the crusty Ol'coot. Wish I could have met him at least once.

Keep'em coming! :wink:
300 Winmag

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Hunting Classic
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 12:22:02 PM »
That is both the cool part and the  problem with all celebraties/heros.  They are human.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.