Author Topic: 45 colt cartridge conversion max pressure  (Read 987 times)

Offline HuntinandBanjos94

• Trade Count: (0)
45 colt cartridge conversion max pressure
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
I've looked all over the internet about max pressure for these kirst cartridge conversions for 45 colt. It says on their website to stick with black powder or cowboy loads. So what is the max pressure for these loads?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: 45 colt cartridge conversion max pressure
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »
I dont really know what your asking us...

Factory loadings for the long colt run about 16K while the "Ruger" level loadings reach 20-25K.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »
buy yourself a bottle of Trail Boss and have at it!
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:10:43 PM »
Hello, HuntinandBanjos94.  When I bought my Kirst cyl.'s in .38 Long-Colt & .45 Colt, I phoned Mr. Kirst, and asked him the same question.  His reply was..the cylinders are proofed to take any modern SAMMI smokeless loads.
   The problem is not the cylinders..it is the revolvers!  In my case, with 2nd. generation Colt re-makes:  Early 1971 1851 navy .36, and 1980's .44 army...the limiting factor is that mid-19th century 3 piece..held together by a wedge design.
   In the 1851 .38 Long-Colt..I found 1.8gr. Bullseye shot to sights & very accurate..anything heaver & groups printed higher & opened up.  The .45 Colt 1860 army actually shot more accurate using the shorter Starline Schofield brass..again, light loads prooved the most accurate & shot to sights.  Best of luck with your conversions!

Offline HuntinandBanjos94

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:05 PM »
Very good point .22-5-40. The frame of the 1851 probably wouldn't hold up very well to too great an amount of pressure. I'm looking to get a replica 1851 navy 44 cal and convert it to 45 colt. I want to load ammo that has a 250 gr bullet. I know back in the day they used black powder in the cartridge and got velocities around 900 fps. So what smokeless powder load can I use to duplicate this load safely in that revolver?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 10:40:01 PM »
Ooh we are speaking of Black Powder cartridge conversion cylinders!!!

The strongest of the BP frames is the Remington as its frame surrounds the cylinder, the Colts with the open top strap lack that rigidity. Even with that personally I would not dream of loading it up AT ALL. BP equivalent loadings only in these. its not just the cylinders strength you need to think about. Keep the loadings light and keep your gun, hand and life...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 04:59:57 AM »
I'm looking to get a replica 1851 navy 44 cal and convert it to 45 colt.

I don't think that Colt ever made the '51 in anything but .36 Caliber so I also don't think there are any replicas out there.   :-\

Seems to me I have seen a Navy lookalike made, or was made, by somebody though.. Pieta maybe?   ???  I should think it would have to be a scaled up version of the Navy.  And I don't know as anyone makes a conversion cylinder for such a model.

Let me check on the revolver...

Yup, Cabela's has what they call the civilian navy in 44 and some brass framed models.  I certainly wouldn't get a brass framed model for a conversion!   :o 

Now the conversion unit...

Bingo!

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/coltnavy.html

One for the exact revolver you want!  The site also states a caution about the loads used in these conversions.

But I agree with Brie.  I'd get a Remington for a cartridge conversion even though I love my colt repros!   ;D   Matter of fact, If I were contemplating what you are I'd just go ahead and buy a Uberti conversion model... like the '51 in 38 Spl. with a 5.5 inch barrel...  ;D   or the Remington... or a '72 Flat top... or ONE OF EACH!!!  :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »
Now your talkin' Richard!! A nice '51 in 38 would make a very nice shooter!!!

I have two very early replicas from the early '60s. One is a '51 the other a '60. I have seen a nice little '49 I really liked too.

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »
My nieces husband has 4 or 5 cap and ball revolvers and he bought conversion kits for all of them. I'm about certain he's using TrailBoss on all of them. Get some and give it a try.

HWD

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 03:21:55 PM »
If I am not mistaken, the Colt Walker 44 caliber was the strongest handgun made in the BP days.
It took loads of up to 55gr of BP and shot a 138gr round ball at about 1200fps.
These were big guns, weighing in at almost 5 pounds loaded and with a total lenght of almost 16".
They were the 44 magnum of their day.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:37:49 AM »
The Colts factory did indeed produce the 1851 in a caliber larger than 36.  They did some R&D on the 40 caliber and produced several for testing.  At the same time, they were also testing the new Silver Steel (Bessemer stuff) and found that with a rebated cylinder they could go to 44 Caliber on the 1851 frame.  Adding a rounded barrel and newly designed loading lever allowed them to introduce the 1860 and the 40 caliber project was shelved.

As for 45 Colt loads in a C&B revolver, well, when Colts did the conversions they were chambered for the 44 Colt.  The 45 long Colt had not been developed and when it was, it was found to be too large for the C&B frame.  Modern replicas have beefed up some parts but stick with black powder or smokeless equivalents.  THe 250 grain/900fps load mentioned was used in a Model P, a bit more strength than the open topped C&B revolvers.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous