Author Topic: Oversize firing pins  (Read 193 times)

Offline mdwest

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Oversize firing pins
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:24:12 AM »
Just completed trigger jobs on 2 of my SB1 frames last night.. one of the frames had a broken hammer spring and was missing the firing pin and firing pin spring.. so I took the opportunity to go on and slick up the triggers since I was already going to have to open one up and replace some parts..

I noticed when I ordered the replacement firing pin (brownells) that one customer had reviewed the pins and claimed they were way oversized. I assumed (incorrectly) that they had probably ordered an SB1 pin and tried to put it in an SB2.

Turns out the pin I recieved was considerably oversized as well.

Really wasnt that big of a deal. I simply took the end of it that is struck by the hammer and placed it in the chuck of my drill. Got out some 200 grit and 600 grit metal sandpaper, and went to work..

I spun the pin in the drill at a fairly low speed. and ran the cylinder of the pin across the sand paper that was mounted to a block, removing only very small bits of material at a time and checking it constantly.. (basically the same technique I used to make 3/16 slave pins for the trigger jobs from wooden 1/4 dowell rods... (neither home depot of lowes had 3/16 in either steel or wooden rods available)..

After 6 or 8 rounds with the drill, it dropped right in, and now functions perfectly.

Just thought I would share the news (and my approach to the fix) in case anyone else needs to replace a firing pin. Apparently some of them are coming out of brownells a little bit oversized...

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Oversize firing pins
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:45 AM »
Good job! I have done the exact thing many times when. Sexing to adj a diameter of something.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.