Author Topic: "JACKETED PERFORMANCE WITH CAST BULLETS"  (Read 1922 times)

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
"JACKETED PERFORMANCE WITH CAST BULLETS"
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
JACKETED PERFORMANCE WITH CAST BULLETS

Does anyone have a picture of this publication?...

What size is it and how many pages does it have?...

And is it a booklet or is it just pages stapled together?...

Might purchase it, but if it is merely a pamphlet or small booklet, the price is too high…

Thanks…BCB

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: "JACKETED PERFORMANCE WITH CAST BULLETS"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:09:34 PM »
I have a copy on loan from a friend, 19 chapters, 131 pages. Looks to be very informative. Have not read it yet.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:05:28 PM »
I have two copies of it. One to read, the other is put away so I always have a copy of it. It's the result of a lifetime of experience, and no, there is no loading data in it. Some chapters are really deep, and I had to read them a few times to comprehend what Verals telling us. If typos & misspellings drive you nuts, then it's not the book for you. It does however, tell you what, it tells you why, and it tells you how to do things you may never have thought of. There are 19 chapters, with topics like heat treating, rifling types and bullet selection, alloying, bullet lubes, sizing, mould maintenance, and more. It's not a beginners "how to" book, but geared towards the advanced caster. Veral does plug his own products, but not to the point that I found bothersome. It is NOT some sort of self-aggrandizing ego trip on paper. 

ETA- woah! after my original post, I checked out the link from the previous post. That was really spooky! No, I didn't write that review.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:03:09 PM »
veral really knows his stuff but i haven't  red what your talking about.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
My post was really, really similar to the review on "Surplus Rifle". It was kind of eerie in a way.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »
The first issue of "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" was a conventionally bound paperback. The binding was poorly done and after a bit of use pages began falling out of it. The current issue is spiral wire bound which cures the earlier problem and adds the feature of laying flat when you open it to a page you're interested in. I consider it an essential part of my reloading equipment.

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:33 PM »
The first issue of "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" was a conventionally bound paperback. The binding was poorly done and after a bit of use pages began falling out of it. The current issue is spiral wire bound which cures the earlier problem and adds the feature of laying flat when you open it to a page you're interested in. I consider it an essential part of my reloading equipment.

That is what I wanted to hear as I know books that are "conventionally bound" as you say, are in bad shape after usage...

The spiral bound books would be 100% better...

And, I have heard it is "required" for boolit casters...

Guess, I'll consider one...

Thanks to all...

BCB

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »
My working copy is conventionally bound, and over 10 years old. It displays wear on the covers, but I have never had a loose page.

Offline bobthenailer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 12:42:39 PM »
I have 3 different edtions of JPWCB ,  any one is very imformative !

Offline 30calflash

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 06:16:08 PM »
 Mine is an older copy. The info in it can save you a lot of time experimenting. And there's a lot of info on reloading for certain types of firearms.

What ever the current price is it's worth it, IMHO.
Hold still while I overthink this.

Offline Frank2

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 05:15:17 AM »
BCB:
Does anyone have a picture of this publication?...What size is it and how many pages does it have?...And is it a booklet or is it just pages stapled together?...Might purchase it, but if it is merely a pamphlet or small booklet, the price is too high…Thanks…BCB

If you are looking for fluff, you won't find it in this book.  It is concise and exactly to the point.  Besides saving time in reading it also teaches you how to spend more time experimenting with what really counts.  Quit fooling with lubes and focus attention to gain real performance.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
i also bought two copies. put one back just in case

Offline Frank2

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
There seems to be a misconception out there that going harder causes leading.  I have never found this to be the case.  It makes sense what he says about softer causing base expansion (obturation), more friction and leading. GC's contain the expansion and reduce pressure - brilliant.  It's good to know what is really going on with these cast bullets, and Veral's book does very well at answering those questions.  Plus, he seems to have the right perspective in that he is looking for more performance, rather than less, with less being more commonplace these days.  People making their own lubes and trying to re-invent the wheel.  Why not just take the easy path and do it the right way?