Author Topic: Lowrance Ifinder H20 mapping software  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Lowrance Ifinder H20 mapping software
« on: December 26, 2010, 09:05:08 AM »
Is there any other topo software that I can get for my ifinder OTHER than the POS Mapcreate 7?  I like my unit, but I hate the finiky behavior of Mapcreate.  And they have not put out an updated version since 2007.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Pot-Bellied Stallion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Lowrance Ifinder H20 mapping software
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:25:34 AM »
Swift One,
I have the same compliant with the iFinder Hunt and the MapCreate 6 software.  Only a few months after I purchased the Hunt, Lowrance came out with the HuntC and the MapCreate 7 software.  I called to see if there would be an upgrade for the Hunt so I could use the MC7, but was told that there would be no upgrades since they no longer offered the Hunt, only the HuntC.  Therefore, I would have to buy a new HuntC in order to get any more mapping upgrades.
If you find any other mapping software that will work with the Lowrance units, PM me, please.
Thanks for the stump

The older I get, the better I was.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:38:09 AM »
I forgot to mention that the MapCreate 6 that I have will not work with Windows 7, which all of my computers have been upgraded to.
Thanks for the stump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »
Unless someone can talk me out of it, I'm through with Lowrance products, period.  I will continue using my iFinder Hunt until it croaks, then I'll probably get a Garmin.  I bought a Garmin Nuvi for my wife's car and for $79.99 extra I get map upgrades for life.  I don't know if their outdoor GPS units are the same, but if they are then I will have one next time.  No more Lowrance for me.  If a company can't support their products then I have no use for them.
Thanks for the stump

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »
I got a map "free" map upgrade with my latest Nuvi, but I have not heard of Garmin handing free map upgrades for their handhelds.  Unit software upgrades are available for two or three years then disappear.

I have been a heavy user of Garmin Handhelds for about ten years, five different models.  Garmin one year guarantee has proven useful, but after a year if the unit fails it will cost you money.

I give Garmin a B+ for usability, and a D for quality control.  Some problems are not identified unit the units are out of warranty. 

I have a love-hate relationship with Garmin due poor quality control.

Siskiyou :o
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline OleFreak

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 10:37:30 PM »
For my first GPS I bought a handheld DeLorme PN-60 with Topo North America 9.0 mapping software about two weeks ago.  The receiver itself is fine but now after two weeks of updating Vista, downloading more software, researching, and total frustration all over a stinkin slow dial-up connection, and now I’m waiting on their tech guy to send instructions for editing the Vista registry.  The TNA9 software will not get past trying and then failing to install a Visual C++ prerequisite on my laptop.  Done put two fresh from MS copies (x86 and x64) on there already but without the “fix” TNA9 just ain’t seeing it.  It’s looking like there may be hope for it now but so far it’s been a rough introduction to GPS.