Author Topic: What kind of "Knock Down Power Factor" from this load?  (Read 658 times)

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
What kind of "Knock Down Power Factor" from this load?
« on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »
First of all, yea I hate that phrase but its early and I have to get to the hospital for my myelogram and my brain can't figure out a better phrase :).

I have a wickedly tender shoulder and neck due to an inmate attack a couple of years ago.  I worked up a easy on me load in my Accura and will be shooting it in my T/C now.  Its 75gr of BH209 and a XTP 180gr and a Harvester sabot.  Is this enough for a <80 yard shot on a deer?  Its very accurate, I will be hunting out of my "shack" (the goat barn), and the shooting site is measured out. 

I hunt on the back side of our small farm.  Its between two other small farms that have set up feed plots for bucks that they want to shoot.  Both neighbors said for me to get a couple of the smaller does that have been running the creek path and I think I will.  Goats have ate down the back forty (yards) and I have a nice clear shot at them when they move in the morning.

I just want to make sure this load will quickly take down a 130ish pound deer will a properly placed shot.  My daughters (step) like this load too and I would really like for them to be able to take a deer as well.

Lefty
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!

Offline martineta

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
  • Hunting Lodge Owner Uruguay
    • Paso del Puerto
Re: What kind of "Knock Down Power Factor" from this load?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:49:07 AM »
Never tried 75grs. of blackhorn but 85 grs is very accurate in my Encore with 245 powerbelts. Plenty of deer dead and no ouch factor.  Sorry about the injury.  Darned old mean people.
Kenneth Burnett
Paso del Puerto
Professional Hunter 34 years in Paraguay and Uruguay

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:54:15 AM »
Well, on the Blackhorn website the load data shows 80 grains by volume (56 by weight) behind a 180 grain XTP at 1,803 FPS.

Based on that and assuming equal barrel lengths your load is likely in the 1,650 to 1,690 FPS range.

Dumping the 180 grain bullet and 1650 FPS velocity data into a ballistic calculator shows roughly 700 pounds of energy at 75 yards.

So from where I sit, the answer is that your load is all that's needed for deer at that range. 

I suspect that you won't see an exit wound but my experience with light for caliber XTPs and deer is that the XTPs make a mess of everything in their path in the heart/lung area.  I've never had one shot in the heart/lung area go more than 50-60 yards before piling up.  As a note though, I've never hit anything more solid than a rib with a light for caliber XTP so I can't offer any insight in that area.

Good luck and happy hunting.  I envy you having the kids around.  Our youngest (of six, five boys) is away at college now and hunting season does not seem the same without one or more of the kids around.

Lance

Offline lefty_red

• I'm way too young to feel this old!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • I'll be needing that for squirrels and such....
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »
Ok, that should be legal round then.  Thanks for the website!
I really doubt I get an exit hole with the 180's also.  But the smaller does that keep running up and down the bank should drop with a heart lung shot fairly quickly.
BTW, that procedure is something I NEVER want to do again!  Still sick and head feels like a bass drm at middle school band practice....
Lefty
Too old for a paper route and too young to retire!

Offline Muddly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:13:06 AM »
Sorry to hear of your injury. I have a tender neck/shoulder from a car accident so i know how you feel. When i started inlining, I used a Traditions Tracker 209 .50 cal that i converted to musket cap. I shot 40gr( volume) of 3f T7 and a 240 gr T/C Cheap Shot sabot. Muzzle velocity( chrono'd) is 1350 fps or roughly 44 Mag handgun levels. Between me and my daughter, who confiscated the rifle when she started hunting, we have 10 deer with 10 shots from 15 feet to 115 yards and all save 2 were passthroughs. No deer went more than 80 yards after the hit. You know the rifle fired cuz the striker's down and there's alittle smoke in front of you. The critical thing in using low to moderate power loads is matching the bullet to the expected velocity. Hornady publishes a chart for the XTP series, which gives the minimum and maximum velocities for each bullet. I've found XTP's to be a superb bullet and use nothing else in my Black Diamond XR. Wait for the good shot and these low power loads will put a smile on your face! I use a 250 gr 45 cal XTP ( non-mag) and 70gr of 3f Swiss black in my B'Diamond and this year smacked a doe at 75 yards. The bullet blew up her chest like a grenade and punched a 4 inch exit hole. Impact velocity, initial is 1550 fps , is 1250 fps at 75 yards. She made it 30 yards and left a 4 ft spray on both sides of her tracks. It doesnt take alot of power or powder to cleanly take a deer. Just pick the right bullet.
The LORD bless and keep you.The LORD make his face to shine apon you and be gracious to you.The LORD look apon you with favor and bring you peace

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 09:29:28 AM »
About the same muzzel energy as a 44 mag with a 6" barrel.
More than enough for deer.
If you are talking about the Taylor Knock Out factor, for knocking down elephants then you have  a formula
diameter of bullet X weight of bullet x velocity 
divided by 7,000 (grains in a pound) = a number to compare.
so .490 X 180 X 1650 = 14120 / 7000 = 20.16
For referance
A 405 Grain standard load out of a 45-70 is
.458X 405 x 1300 = 241137/7000= 34.44
30-06 180 grain 2800 FPS load is
155232 / 7000 = 22.17
The formula is skewed to bigger bullets.
if you took a 7mm and a 30 same weight and same speeds the 30 would show up better.
Hope you feel better.

Offline DennyRoark

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
    • The Ohio Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
That's a good load for ~100 yds.  You'll have no regrets and will be amazed at how much damage it will do to a rib cage.  Expect pass thru's.  I wouldn't go much over 125yds, tho.  The 180gr XTP in my 45 knight with 80gr powder is unfreaking beleivable!
Denny Roark
Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)
The Second Amendment...the one that makes all the others possible
I have no problems with vegetarians...I eat them regularly-Ted Nugent
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline ceadersavage2

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
  • Love to have live 200 years ago
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
It has great killing power in a 50 also with 80gr of black powder 3fffg