Author Topic: Gun prices  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Backwoods7

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun prices
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:33:38 PM »
Ive always been one to buy sell and trade but gun prices have become crazy. I remember buying kframe smiths used for 200 or less. I remember being told i was crazy by a guy for wanting 250 for a marlin 39 there 500 now. And look at the new marlin 336 in the mid 400 for a new one and around 300 for used.are people acually paying this for guns now its gotten rediculous. I paid 275 for a blackhawk the other day good deal for todays market but thats more than they were new 12years ago. Its getting to the point your average joe cant afford a quality rifle. Whats yalls thoughts am i overreacting to stickershock or are guns getting rediculous?

Offline Torwe

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Gun prices
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:11:58 AM »
Its just that everything is out of sight. I remember buying .22 lr ammo for 29 cents a box. A brand new out of the box remingtion 788 for $69.95. Gasoline for 17 cents a gallon. oops I'm getting close to revealing my age.
Life is like a coin you can spend it any way you wish. But you can only spend it once.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:05:44 AM »
Yes prices on everything gun related have gone thru the roof. After that last shortage of everything right after Bush left office the prices have just kept on climbing and have not dropped back to pre shortage prices. As bad as gun and ammo prices are it seems that quality scope prices are even more outrageous. Ya pay it or ya don't get them.

I've noticed that as high as gun prices are both new and used the dealers sure don't seem to want to allow you anything on a trade in.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:40:05 AM »
Just about everything is going up.  True inflation has been around 10% per year the last 2-3 years.  Governments new "rules" for determining inflation is bogus.  They factor in the cost of homes, which has gone down because no one is buying new homes now.  Because they are using ethynol in gasoline, this has caused food prices to go up.  Corn being made into ethynol was used to feed cattle, pigs, and chickens.  Because corn prices have climbed, meat prices have climbed.  Oil and gasoline went up in the last few years of the Bush administration, causing people to have to choose to drive to work or pay their mortgage.  Gasoline is now higher than when Bush left office.  Food is higher, metal is higher.  China and India are growing and using more of these products so the demand is still high.  In the last year we looked at what we paid for food, in one year food prices have gone up about 20%.  The government tells us inflation is only about 1-2%.  Take the home cost out, just factor in groceries, gasoline, clothing, utilities that people have to pay for every year and it is about 10% inflation.  So much for hope and change. 

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:42:33 AM »
  I find new guns at Dicks and Walmart cheaper than used at pawn shops and gun shows.
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
WHOLE SALE PRICES  ON SOME THINGS HAVE GONE DOWN........A LITTLE
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:54 PM »
  I find new guns at Dicks and Walmart cheaper than used at pawn shops and gun shows.

Sometimes you hit it good at pawn shops.
Can Dick sell you a very nice Ruger Security-Six for $250?  I bought one the other day at a pawn shop. It's a keeper.
Taurus .45 subcompact for $220?
How about this....just the other day, a PREMIUM Savage 24C for $300. At a pawn shop. I like to fell over when they brought it out. Couldn't afford it, but there it was. They are $400 - $550 on the 'net.
Excellent Mauser Standard Modell with '30's commercial proofs for $175?
All true stories. And recent.
Those aren't typical prices, no doubt. But it's like fishing, there ARE some big ones out there. Just gotta keep looking.  You might have to put up with cigar-chompin' know-it-all managers and Kid Commando sales boys but you just deal with it. And Dick's And wally world don't have old, unusual and rare items.
WalMart? Dick's?  Really? Not for me.

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
I guess its all relative. How much were you making in income 12 years ago versus today. Making more money? Joe Blow thats making the rifles at the plants gets raises too and healthcare costs, etc, etc and so forth, prices go up. How much was a new Chevy Z71 pickup 12 years ago vs. the 50K models out now?
 I think the truck manufacturers are missing the boat and need to produce basic frills models that the working man can afford.
I don't know about you but i can do without a DVD TV facing the back seat so junior will keep his pie hole shut. Just give me a truck with power steering, a/c, a decent stereo and knock about 35 grand off the price. heck I don't even mind rolling down my own windows. I don't need a butt warmer and latte machine in there. Not to mention with China sucking up all the raw materials, scrap steel, etc. well costs of materials have gone way up and the Govt with its printing press and printing out money like its toilet paper-well money just aint worth what it used to be. I could go on and on but Graybeard would probably ban me, ha ha.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 06:28:41 PM »
Hunter6657, I think I made more $ 12 years ago :)
But you are sure right.  Must be a mighty big printing press the guvment boys have. Runs all day and night, too.
Toilet paper money. Mr. Whipple is in charge of the economy I'm thinking.

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
Its just that everything is out of sight. I remember buying .22 lr ammo for 29 cents a box. A brand new out of the box remingtion 788 for $69.95. Gasoline for 17 cents a gallon. oops I'm getting close to revealing my age.

I remember buying a new in box Remington 788 for $110 in 1979 and that gun store was considered high priced. It took 52 hours of work at the minimum wage of $2/hr to buy that rifle.Let's see-now minimum wage is $7/hour and it will still take the 52 hours of work to buy that first rifle at $364.
The more things change the more they remain the same. I remember Security Six's and Smith 66's for $200 and ruger 44 carbines used for $150, look at what they go for now. they are actually cheaper now in relative amount of work at minimum wage to buy. I am just using minimum wage as a comparison.
PS 17 cents a gallon for gasoline was before my time, ha ha. It had gone up to 50-60 cents a gallon.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 02:11:59 AM »
  Now:  $400
  Then: $125

Now:  $650
  Then:  $275

Ok, now would you work for the same wage then as you do now?   
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »
On occasion you can still find a good but at an estate or garage sale, but even those are getting few and far between.  I look back at what I passed up in the 50s because I either didn’t have the money or spent it on the girls and realize I could have had a fortune in guns if I had bought then.  Hindsight, always 20/20. :( :( :(

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
Graybeard is right, cabelas guy was telling me what he gave for a Savage on the shelf. Not much. The prices there have been going down cause there are guns in his back room not even on the floor. No room he said. That's how many guns are out there. The time will come, maybe after christmas, I don't know. They went down, but not much. There sure is a glut of fireamrms. Ammo went up again, especially bulletes and brass.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:48:09 AM »
i can remember buying k frames for a 150 bucks not more then 5 years ago. I bought 4 at that price from a dealer who had police trade ins. Like a dummy i gave 3 of them away figureing id could get more. Now there 400 plus! Sure wish i wouldnt have bought at least one more 15 at that price.
blue lives matter

Offline mrcooper

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:47:05 AM »
Their was a time (long, long ago) when I could do some trading, all that stopped about 5 years ago I found out I can trade a $20.00 bill fer a $5.00 bill at gun shows bless their hearts, I no longer try to trade. what I have is JUNK and what they have is GOLD. Our gun shows are disappearing and I hate that but GREED has done it. The people putting on the gun shows do not advertise and they charge the dealers way to much fer tables and also to much fer buyers. Their was a gun show about 50 miles from me 3 mo's ago that cost $6.00 entrance fee and their was only 10 tables in side, I stopped going to that one 5 years ago.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 04:52:13 AM »
For the most part most of you just need to look in the mirror to see who is to blame for high gun and ammo prices. If everyone had not freaked when it became apparent that Obama was going to be elected prices would have not sky rocketed.
GuzziJohn

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »
The mirrow might show some who did not vote or voted to support those spending in govt. That is where the blame lays. Our country is in debt so deep if all of us paid our wages into taxes it would only pay the intrest most likely. To cove the debt our govt. has printed mo momey . Our country/market place only has so much value so mo money makes all money less valuable. Gun prices reflect inflation not people buying to many.If anything spending on guns helped the economy and helped slow the inflation , but not enough to notice . 
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 05:31:02 AM »
That is what some liberals don't understand.  More money printed or dumped into the economy, the higher inflation.  Groceries are about 25% higher this year than last.  Everything has gone up, including health care.  Power has gone up also in my area. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 07:05:37 AM »
DD that's funny , understand and dunb-o-crat used in same sentance  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline carryon

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
I agree that prices have gone up drastically.  And, what I have to trade isn't worth taking in cause they are going to knock at least $100 off of what it's worth.  >:(   So I only trade with individuals and have just about given up trading altogether.  You still can find deals at pawn shops but that is hit and miss.  The one good thing I did when 44 took office was get some really nice .22's and plink away!!!! :)

a good rifle and a good scope on it will set you back a bundle, but you gotta have at least one "perfect" rifle in the herd.
There is nothing that evil men fear so much as a good man who knows what is right and is willing to fight and die to see it done.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »
the reason  every is going up is your money isn't worth much al that money you put away years ago isn't worth 1/2 as much obamma just keeps printing funny money  that's why the Chinese want to get rid of it for silver and that chip board house you live is not worth much it sucks.ps when is the oil company's going to send us check for all  money they screwed us out of.