Author Topic: Winchester Model 94 production date 1979 any good?  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Norseman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Winchester Model 94 production date 1979 any good?
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
I have a chance to buy a Winchester Model 94 manufactured in 1979 in mint condition for $225.  There is not a single mark on it, bluing perfect, drilled for Lyman peep sight etc. It appears like it is new, just pulled from the box when made. Nice dark wood with nice grain.  Should I jump on it?  In addition what is the quality of the 94 in 1979, any issues?  Your replies are appreciated.
RKBA!

Offline 277284

• Avid Poster
Re: Winchester Model 94 production date 1979 any good?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
Sounds like a good deal.  They are not made in the USA anymore.  Go and take another look at it, then decide.  Mine are made in 1967 and  2005, I can't imagine you would be disappointed.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »
Price sounds give away.   I'm not up on post '64 94's, so can't help you there.   I grew up on a ranch with the pre 64's that literally everybody in my very large extended family did all their hunting with.    Mine is circa early 40's, and was bought new by my grandpa.   I killed my first mule deer with it about 1955 with his help holding the barrel up.   It killed a lot of mule deer for him before I got it for keeps mid 60's, and it killed a lot of mule deer, a few elk, a few bears, and pine hens for me before I stopped hunting with it in the 70's.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:49:12 AM »
Norseman:  I have four things to say:  (1) JUMP on it; (2) Jump on it now; (3) The price is excellent; and (4) you will not regret it. 

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:59 AM »
Here's WHY it's an excellent buy:

1) In 1971, Winchester corrected most of the "post-64" consumer complaints in the Model 94 by replacing the roll pins and stamped lifter/carrier with solid parts again - although the receivers are not re-bluable via conventional refinishing methods.  Take care to keep it rust-free.

2) IIRC 1979 manufacture was prior to the introduction of the rebounding hammer, and well before the 1983 intro of the side-eject 94AE.

3) It appears to be tagged at about 50% of what one of that year/condition would normally change hands for.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »
Excellent firearm...go get it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
  Great replies.  My friend is coming over later today (private transaction) with the 94 that I plan to get off of him.  It's a final close inspection. I think the deal is sealed. 
  I plan on putting a Lyman or Williams receiver sight on it.  The left side of the rifle is pre-drilled for it.  The question is, is the existing front sight height going to work on either of the two?  Standing by for replies...
RKBA!

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »
Probably depends on which model of receiver sight you get.   I know at least the Williams Fire Site comes packaged with a taller front sight to use with it.   The Lyman uses the factory front sight I believe.   

Personally I would never install a receiver sight or "fire" type sights or scopes on any firearm.   Some folks like them, I don't.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:31 AM »
Excellent firearm...go get it.

I have to agree ! here they sell for up to 300 bucks.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08:49 AM »
Depending on your planned use you may find a XS sight to be a good choice I had one on a 94 and it worked well.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »
  I plan on putting a Lyman or Williams receiver sight on it.  The left side of the rifle is pre-drilled for it.  The question is, is the existing front sight height going to work on either of the two?  Standing by for replies...

I have a Lyman peep on my 1978 issue Model 94 that zeroed with the issue height front sight.

A Williams 5D-94 or FP-94 will also zero okay, but the XS will definitely need a much higher front sight, due to it's higher mounting position compared to the others.

Also, because your M94 isn't a 94AE with the scope mount prep D/T atop the rear receiver sidewalls, the top of your rifle's receiver sidewalls would need to be D/T'd for the XS peep or the Williams 5D/FP-94AE peeps for the later AngleEject models.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 12:15:11 PM »
I can't believe I got a 94 in this great condition for $225.  It appears unfired, pristine stock.  Just a very small light scratch on the receiver that is not deep at all.  I think I am going to order a Williams 5D for it.  But, how do I slide the front sight hood off.  It is really on there tight?
RKBA!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
sounds like yu got a awesum deal! ive been in the market for one for a few years but havent found a deal like that at all.as far as the sight hood goes, id have a buddy hold it down on a sandbag and try tapping it off with a piece of hard wood and a lite hammer.

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »
Man...you all are great with your help!  I used the tapping of the sight hood by putting a piece of wood as suggested. No problem. Comes off tapping forward.  A peep sight (on order) will be better served while using it without it on.  I will replace when finished,  from range or hunting. Now this may be another dumb question... but what direction do you tap the rear sight off, is it right to left?  I already have a dovetail blank. Also, if memory serves me right, is blue lock-tight the correct stuff to use when attaching the Williams 5D?
  "In retrospect, I am in my early fifties, and in the mid to late 70's while I was in the Navy, I always wanted a 94 but either couldn't afford it, or never got one until I bought an Angle eject when they came out which is OK, but isn't as smooth levering as this one!  No clunklity clunk, just click, click. I hunt mostly with an '06 but a light weight lever action climbing up ridges and hollows here in Virginia(I live in Tidewater) would be a relief.  Most deer shot well within 100 yards anyway!  Scopes can fog up, rain and a scope is a pain.  Small carbine and peeps seem a cool choice. There is something nostalgic about using a lever action, but I know it's not a handy cap at all. The right tool for the job at hand. Life goes in a circle.  Had Marlins, and they are great.  I repeat HAD. But there is something about the old Model 94 I can't explain.  Lighter and slimmer. The current Winchester company must be run by complete fools not to re-introduce this fine firearm!  Especially in the pre-64 genre.  Reaaaal dumb!  Anyway, I am looking forward to your replies"...thinking about the upcoming fall season, sitting around the campfire, the whispering pines, owls, with my 1894 Winchester by my side! :)
RKBA!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 02:42:56 AM »
Norseman:  Well buddy, after 30-35 years it's about dang time you finally got one; now you just have to enjoy it.  I really appreciate my Winchester M94s - got 5; two 30-30s, one a 1927 made and one a 1975 made, both great.  Also have 3 94AEs all in 444 caliber and all are smooth.  My biggest decision making problem is which one to take out during hunting season, or rather, which one to take out on which weekend hunting trip.....

I appreciate my Winchesters, bolts and levers.  I don't have any real problem with them leaving a pre-commie state (one where the state owns part of the firearms manufacturing process) to find a better place to produce their wares but they should have kept the 94 line and also gone retro with a '92 line.  IMO.

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »
  Well guys, the Williams 5D peep sight from Midway is scheduled to be delivered today.  I have a question:
  When removing the rear sight for the sight blank, which way do I tap it out?  Right to left?

(I also figured out how to remove the front sight hood.  It's on tight.  I tap it out forward with a wooden dowl).

Thanks!
RKBA!

Offline JumpinJackFlash

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »
Several years ago I traded a Smith and Wesson 22-A (A-22?) and $190 for a 94 made in 1952. The rifle has slight etching on the receiver, otherwise very straight and I would guess a 90% rifle. The action was so tight I could barely open it, it had been somewhere for a long time without being used. 

Did I get a good deal?  Oh, I think so, as Winchester at the time was still in business.

It has a Williams receiver sight on it.

Offline hillbill

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »
norseman, i beleive the rear sight can be tapped out in either direction.

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 12:40:09 PM »
I would advise first removing the step elevator, and sliding a small piece of copy paper under the rear of the right's longleaf prior to drifting, to avoid marring the barrel finish.

I would drive it out towards the loading gate side.

I would install FROM the loading gate side.

If the filler blank's too tight, use a small triangle file or stone on the blank's angled face(s) gently, until it fits.
If the blank's too loose, raise a few divots in the floor of the barrel's female dovetail first, to give it a little "grab". 
If it's very loose, make a BCS (beer can shim), and place it under the blank as it's installed.

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 03:06:59 PM »
+1 for Ranger44's methodology.  It's apparent that he's changed out a few Winchester sights--or probably most likely more than a few.  Work from the loading gate side like he says and you'll have no trouble.

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 03:39:03 AM »
  Well guys, I put the Williams 5D on the "new" 94 and removed the rear sight and installed a dove tail blank where the buck horn sights were.  I also installed Uncle Mikes sling swivel studs and sling.  I am going to wait to go to the range until September, it's been too hot here in Virginia. In every ones experience, would you recommend 150 grain flat points or 170 grain as far as accuracy goes?  Also how about my existing front sight.  Will it work OK with the Williams peep?
  Now get this.  I found out that the rifle itself has not even been fired!  It was sitting in a guys closet for over thirty years and still has that Winchester oil smell in the action. I know it is an inanimate object, but I feel the rifle is crying to get out and hunt deer and have the smell of a camp fire on it.  I haven't been so pumped on a rifle in a long while.  It will be a perfect companion while climbing steep ridges and mountain laurel in the Jefferson National Forrest here in Virginia.  It's light weight, trim and easy packing . I hope I can get a decent grouping with it.  Looking forward to your replies!
RKBA!

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »
Since YMMV on the front sight, I would recommend sighting in with the existing front sight, to see if you like it .

Remember NOT to consiously try to center it in the peep aperture - just simply look THROUGH the aperture, AT the target, placing the front sight directly on target (not @ 6-o'clock, etc).
Your eye will unconsiously self-center, and your should be able to zero the rifle readily.

That should give you enough shooting time with the front sight to decide wheter you like it, or would rather have one of the same height (since it zeroed OK), but of a different material - like an Ivory or Gold bead or a bright Fiber-Optic.

Don't forget, replacement front sights are available in two different bead sizes, "fine" (1/16"), and coarse (3/32"), or the square/gold-tipped Sourdough Patridge type.

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
 ;D Hi Guys!  Well, as the original poster I am sorry it took so long to post any actual shooting results with the '79 94.  I took her to the range today with an assortment off ammo.  The wind was gusty. The Williams peep sight worked fine elevation wise.  No concern any more about needing new front sight. .  The front sight was OK.  There was no elevation problems.  I used the front sight bead as the bullet, no six o'clock hold. Started at 25 yards to get on paper.  With the Target aperture, the group was about 1 inch all loads. Dead on. Some vertical stringing.  At 50 yards the group was about 1 1/2 inch.  Some vertical stringing due to heated barrel as well. Slightly high by .5 inch or so. At 100 yards with 150 grain ammo, the group size was dead on but  the size of my hand.  For iron sights with not much cool down, I feel that this is just fine.  Not a target rifle.  I think that I could have done better, but for 12 bucks an hour in Back Bay Virginia at the range, there wasn't too much of a cool down due to the range expense.  This was all done with a good rest both fore and aft.  I am very happy, it is minute of deer for sure. Believe it or not, the best groups was with some cheapo Prvi Partizan Serbian 30-30 150 grain!  Go figure. But, after looking through my spotting scope at the AK's, Mosin Nagants, and even more high dollar rifle's targets that some other guys were shooting at, this old (new) Model 94 was better than all of them.  I am a happy camper!  (BUT, you should have seen my CZ 550 FS 30-06  with 165 grain Remington Core-locts though.  How does .75 inch group at 100 yards- sighted 2 inches high sound? Tack driver).  I had to wait for the wind to cease.  I am ready for hunting season in the mountains, and can smell the campfire! 
RKBA!

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Happy trails - May the Sun be always at your back, and the wind in your favor.

I luv it, when a plan comes together !   ;D

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
I was at Ft. Meade, MD. when I got my first deer rifle. It was a Win. '94AE. I always had wanted one, and got it. It was on clearance at Crofton K-Mart for; now get this $130.00. WOW!!! That was in 1984. Had it for almost 12 yrs. before I noticed one day I was out deer hunting and noticed the AE. I hadn't been seeing anything, so I ejected a round and it came out at a 45 degree angle. I immediately left the woods and went and bought a 3x9x40 tasco pronghorn scope for it. I still have it and hunt with it. That gun is the only gun I have that isn't a single-shot. I WILL NEVER get rid of that rifle.
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.