Author Topic: Tennis Ball Morter  (Read 539 times)

Offline mennelabs

• Trade Count: (0)
Tennis Ball Morter
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:37 PM »
This is a newbie question, so excuse me for my ignorance if this info is already posted.

I would like to build a Tennis ball Mortar.
 Does anyone have plans for this type of thing? I have seen plans for golf ball mortars, but not for tennis balls. I think golf balls may be denser of a projectile than I want to shoot. I think with a tennis ball, I lab would retrieve the ball. ;-) 

Using FFF black powder, What is the appropriate load for this design?
     Sub Question: How do I calculate a “maximum” load that will not hurt me?

What metal should I mill this out of? 
 [font=]Can I get by with 1045 or 1020?
[/size][/font]

[font=]Thanks,
Mennelabs
[/font]

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Tennis Ball Morter
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
Just use any pop can mortar design.  You well eventually want to go to pop cans any way.  You will loose interest in tennis balls pretty quick.

You will retrieve all your golf balls with little problem unless you get crazy.

Use FFg for these guns.  FFFg is tow fine for a gun this size. Load will depend on the design and size of your chamber.  Take a look at the safe loads and construction sticky for information on load determination .

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Tennis Ball Morter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
mennelabs. welcome to the forum! Stick around, lots of great info, tips, hints, and a great bunch of people! We are here to have SAFE fun with our hobby, so be sure to read the helpful stickies at the beginning of the page. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!