Author Topic: CVA APEX  (Read 3212 times)

Offline teddybaham

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
CVA APEX
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
im posting this in response to many of the posts on here concerning the apex. not to discredit there experience or ague but mainly to provide additional information about the apex and my experince with it. last year i purchased an apex in .35 whelen. i really liked the ergonimics, price, and after holding it side by side with a prohunter i was convinced this was a superior firearm. immidately after getting a scope mounted on the factory base and warne rings i took it to the range to sight in. i bore sighted it and started at 100. it was off the paper but i could see the hole 6 in above the paper in the 3'x4' sighnboard i use as a back stop. phone rang and i need to go so i fired 2 more shots one hit 3" to the right of the 1st and the second cut the hole of the 2nd shot. impressed with the hole cutting i decided to come back and sight it in. a few days later i hit the range and chased the holes wasting a whole box of ammo. on ocassion id get 2 shots to cut each other. i was truley baffled by this cause ive shot guns with ad barrels and they never hit in the same spot twice. i changed scopes twice and retuned the gun to cva (which i will agree there slow but an honest group from my dealings atleast. ) i asked them to look it over because i want convined it was the gun. they polished the chamber and touched off on the crown only to return with the same problem. being the owner of a handi i tried to consider the latch or whatever to be the problem but the gun would lock with a thud not a clack and when you open it it was still as solid as a sledge hammer. after putting i scope on i realized that the scope base that looks like a diving board out front could flex with a little pressure from my thumb. i changed it to a durasight one peice base and last week shot a 5 shot group with 3 in one hole and aone cutting those 3 and a fourth only 1/2" above the ragged hole which was shot from a hot barrel and a foggy scope because of humidity. from my experince if you have difficulty with the apex please try a descent base before throwing in the towel. that laughable peice of aluminum they call a base may have cost them more in returns and replacements than theuy expect. if they read this i urge them to apply a better base before shiping anymore guns thanks teddy
p.s i love how this gun shoots and would recomend it to any one
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???

Offline CScape

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: CVA APEX
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:15:48 AM »
I guess I'm a bit confused by your recommendation.  You know BPI owns CVA and Durasight, right?  CVA Apex centerfire rifle barrels are all shipped with one piece Durasight Z2 scope bases, so what was on your .35 Whelen, and what was the model number of the Durasight base you replaced it with?  I did get a replacement barrel from CVA, after getting into direct contact with their CEO, but I have to say that the replacement barrel is not shooting MOA. 

I'm still waiting for my .35 Whelen barrel that has been on backorder from CVA for a couple of months now...

Thanks for your comments.
NRA Endowment Member; MS Gunowners Assn Life Member; Shoot only what you can't miss.

Offline teddybaham

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:58 AM »
sorry should ave been more specific. its the one peice base and ring DEAD ON.  this is the base i purchased for the .35 whelen.
i have a 50mm scope mounted so i bought the high one you may want the medium height. use some blue lock tite and youll eliminate the base as a problem with the accuracy. if your certian its not the scope it only leaves the gun :(
btwit doesnt list apex on here but it fits. good luck and good shooting
http://www.durasight.com/durasight/z2-alloy-products/integral-mount-systems/for-center-fire-rifles/dead-on-one-piece-rail-system-high.html
what part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand???

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:42:53 AM »
good information.  Thanks!  :)
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »
Teddy is right!

I installed a new konus  3-12 scope on our 30-06 Apex last night, reloaded with 165gr hornady boat tails, 51 grains H380 and got around  1 1/4" @ 50 yards.  Not happy with that, i went and upped the powder charge to 54 grains H380, backed out to 70 yards so the scope would be clearer " 12x makes the cross hairs blurr out at 50 lol"  Took 3 shots and came up with a group of .448" center to center!

Offline natchez

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
I just got my gun(2010 Apex .35 Whelen s/s realtree ap ) back from CVA / They replaced the barrel and the  "diving board" rail base mount for the weaver type scope rings that it came with to the one piece durasight. Unfortunately they put the low height mount on there. Oh well I have to buy a new base now. The gun would not group at all. Changed scopes 2 times and 2 boxes of ammo at the range.
I can't wait to see how it does as soon as I get the new mount  in. I hope that takes care of it!

Offline Chiefs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:35:55 AM »
I have a .50 cal barrel and had problems with it grouping, but it ws not the barrel, it was the load, and the bullets, got that straight shoots great, have a shotgun barrel, shoots great and a .223 barrel, which I took to WY for Prairie Dogs, shot cheap ammo and killed dogs to 400 yards and impressed guys with me that had custom builds, great gun.  I would first look at how a scope and rings and bases are mounted.  Having seen a variety of problems that people deal with I think this is usually the real problem.  I mount my bases and rings to not move, period and have no problems.

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:16:23 AM »
Chiefs, are you using the base supplied or did you change to a different one?  Some have changed to an integrated system of base and rings and seem to be getting along with them pretty well.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Just posting to let anyone know that might care to read it... I've moved my original Apex review to my own storage.  Link below.  The only significant difference between that original rifle is the QRBP has been changed to now incorporate only a single sealing ring and the threaded diameter reduced to 5/8".   I now own two of the rifles, the original .50 caliber and a newer .45 caliber.

I used the supplied mount base on both rifles and have seen no negative effects.

http://home.mchsi.com/~rltsr/Apex.htm
WHUT?

Offline OK hunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Thanks for posting the link.  That's an excellent review.
Yeah, I'm a rifle looney