Author Topic: Holiday Catch-Up  (Read 394 times)

Offline .22-5-40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Holiday Catch-Up
« on: November 29, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
Hello, everyone.  Over the holiday, I had some spare time..was looking forward to finally being able to test some .38-55 cast bullet loads in the custom Ruger on Friday...but as luck would have it..wind gusts were up to 30 mph.  I didn't think I would get an accurate assesment in those conditions..so the Ruger remains unfired to date.
   However, the wind direction was right for casting in the garage...so the old 20# Lyman Mag-Dipper was fired up.
I thought I was all set for next season, when I realized I didn't have hardly any .38 Colt bullets.  The pot was filled with a fairly soft lead-tin alloy.  Using Rapine 358-149 hollow base, a good years supply was cast up.
   Next an original Ideal 35870 integeral handled hollow base mould was used. 
It is a wonder to me why Lyman never followed up on this mould, instead of the slow and cumbersome seperate wood-handled plug used in their hollow base type moulds.
   I wish I was set up for dig..I will try to get buddy to help me get some to you guys...This little 100 year old mould is slick!
The pointed plug for the base is held loosly in place by a screw going thru side of block..this can move freely back and forth.
   The block is drilled for a close fit on the cylindrical portion of plug..centered when blocks are closed.
In use, after mould is filled & sprue hardened, mould is opened & turned upside down, a light tap on bottom of block frees bullet from plug..closing blocks automatically pushes plug back into place..it's as fast as a regular single cavity mould.
     I cast a good supply of these, so now my .38 Long-Colts are well supplied.
As it was rainy Sunday, I decided to make up some experimental bullet lubes in basement.
    I use a double-boiler to avoid overheating.
Most of my lubes have a major base ingrediant on pure beeswax.
   To this I add in varying amounts, Anhydrous Lanolin, Castor oil, and synthetic spermaceti wax.
   I mixed up a sample of beeswax, castor oil, and anhydrous lanolin..soft and very smooth..a small dab rubbed between thumb & fingers is instantly absorbed into skin..probably would make a good hand cream!..should be a good black-powder lube or grease cookie.  I tried 1 to1 on the b.w. & castor oil..but although it solidified, a slight touch & almost liquid oil seemed to appear..this is a bit too soft..so I went 2-1 on the wax & oil.  Tried a mix of pure Neatsfool oil, castor oil & beeswax..made it very soft..another one to try with the soft coal propellant.
    Found an old plastic bottle of Dixie Gun Works Synthetic Sperm Whale Oil..Not really sure what this stuff is..some have said it is jo-joba oil?  But it has a very faint..and unplesant fishy smell.
   Mixed this up in equal amounts with castor oil & a small amount of anhydrous lanolin, with enough b.w. to make a fairly soft lube.  That fishy smell doesn't do anything for me though.
    With the weather turning, I'll probably have to wait until next year to try e'm out.
   I tend to stick with all organic ingrediants..but some guys have used b.w. mixed with ATF or STP.
I have always wanted to try b.w. with Motor Honey?
   Best of luck..and keep playing!