Author Topic: 25-06 help/question  (Read 330 times)

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
25-06 help/question
« on: November 26, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
ok so i went to the range today and took my 25-06 and a box of 120 corelokts. At 50 yards she was bout 6 inches high. So adjusted and next one was in a 3 inch circle. That was my dad getting it close, so then i shot 2 rounds and they both were touching almost 1 hole.( this was after we let the barrel cool a little bit. So my dad moved it up. i think it was the way he had the gun on sand bags, cause when i shot it it had a diff poi. So moved it up and went to 100. My first shot was half an inch to the center. after a few minutes i shot again and was within a inch of my first shot, so i though ok were good. So i shot it again and it shot 4 inches right, the my dad shot it and again 4 inches right, coul that have been be cause of a warm/hot barrel? Also if i took it out opening day, would it be on even tho i never shot after it was sighted in, on a "cold" barrel? Would you take it out opening day? thanks if you can help me on those 3 questions.
There is nothin higher on the food chain than me

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Avid Poster
Re: 25-06 help/question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »
also, if my gun is closed, the barrel shakes just a very very very bit, i am guessing that it is the forend screw? would i loose my sighted in if i tighted it?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
First this I would say would be go back to the FAQ's and read about shooting a Handi accurately...

Consistancy is very important.

Sure the positioning of the front rest will change things!! So will how you close it, (Firm and sharp) how you position it. (NOthing under the forend) Even trigger control makes up a large part of accurate shooting.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline APEX PREDATOR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:59:26 AM »
ok so rest the gun on the recievcer? not the forend correct? Also if resting on the forend will effect it, then what happens when i rest the gun on my treestand to make a steadier shot and i sighted my 22 hornet in and it shoots scary groups. Another question what if you have a bipod ?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:55:19 PM »
OK, so rest the gun on the receiver and not the forend correct? Also if resting on the forend, will effect it? Then what happens when I rest the gun on my tree stand to make a steadier shot and I sighted my 22 hornet in and it shoots scary groups. Another question what if you have a bi pod ?
I should clarify. Its best to put the support under the hinge. But you are correct, real world requires you to hold your hand on the forend. I mean that's what its there for right...

What I should say is do not rest the forend, (Any part of the gun) on a hard surface. This is exaggerated if a hard object is held under the forend. It will recoil off the surface and the shot will go off the mark. This goes for ANY and ALL forearms. So keep that forend off the stand. Bi pods can be made to work but many find them the nemesis to a handi...
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.