Author Topic: Dixie "field cannon" kit  (Read 772 times)

Offline Scotsman13a

• Trade Count: (0)
Dixie "field cannon" kit
« on: December 12, 2011, 12:37:58 PM »
Greetings all! Have a question for the board, who's knowledge no doubt surpasses my own by an order of magnitude. I own a full scale 12lb Napoleon, and would really REALLY like to have a miniature of it. Somewhere around say 9" wheels or so, roughly 1/6 scale. A toy company made a VERY nice one in 1/6 scale some years back, non-firing obviously, but otherwise just beautiful! It's out of production now, of course, and scarce as hens teeth. In fact, I've not seen one anywhere. The Dixie kit looks like it might be ok, at least with some work, but I don't know how accurate the carriage is to a No. 1 field, and the barrel most closely approximates a 6lb gun. I suppose I could do like the park service did and make a 6lb gun sorta LOOK like a Napoleon assuming the kit is worth it to begin with. Then there's the "large Napoleon" models that seem to be floating around out there. 69 caliber and look nice, but again not really a scale model.

I can do detail work, but am not a machinist so starting from scratch is not an option here, sadly.

So I guess in short my question is: Anyone got any suggestions?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Dixie "field cannon" kit
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
Have one of our Sponsors make you a 1/6 scale barrel.