Author Topic: 444 Marlin Bullets  (Read 592 times)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
444 Marlin Bullets
« on: December 08, 2011, 05:16:41 AM »
I ordered/received some Sierra Sports Master #8630 300gr JSP.

They say FOR HANDGUNS ONLY on the box.

50 PISTOL BULLETS .4295 Dia

Max. Overall Cartridge Length 1.750 in.

Will they not take the increased velocity? Will I have a problem in 444?

Thanks, I'm new to this cartridge.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 444 Marlin Bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:50 AM »
Sierra doesn't list it in their 444 data, they do list it to 1800fps in the 14" 445 Supermag TC data, best advice is call them and ask.

Tim

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=techservice
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 05:47:20 AM »
Thanks Tim,
     I don't remember reading any of what was on the box till I got it.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:56:16 AM »
Tried some of these a couple years ago. I've always been a big Sierra bullet fan and probably always will be but this was a poor combination for me. Even ask about them here and got almost no response.  From my 444P accuracy was nonexistent.  I'm talking shotgun pattern at 50 yards.  Still have a couple hundred on the shelf.  I now shoot a 300gr. gas checked cast slug that I drop from a Ranch Dog mold and see no reason to even try anything else for my use.

BTW, Good luck!  Just don't get your hopes up too high.   ;)

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »
Called Sierra and they say the throat is too short in the 444. You can use them in 44 mag pistol, but I'm not sure they would fit in the cylinder. Can use them in 44 mag Contender so it must have a longer throat by Saami standards. I think he told me they're rated to 1600 in the 445, but maybe there was a misunderstanding somewhere. He says a Tournament Master in 220 or 250 gr can go 2350-2250 and would work best.

Guess I gotta get a 45-70 ::)   
I can throw them at stray dogs 50 times I guess ;D  Thanks!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »
Give the Hornady 265 grain FP Interlock a try. They were designed especially for the 444, but can work in the 44 Mag as well. This bullet traveling at 2200 fps will poleax any game in North America as long as you do not try to drop that griz you see out there at  500 yards. Seriously, keep it under 200 yards and it will drop any thing that roams North America.

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »
bigvarmit:  I think that's the wrong bullet for the 444.  They will work just fine in a 44 magnum if you shoot one of those.  The 444 is erroneously underrated by those who don't understand what a monster thumper it is.  It almost doesn't matter what you shoot it from, single shots or levers, the same weight cast gas checked bullet will take anything I can think of on the North American continent.  Personally I would not care to hunt large Bear but I would not feel undergunned with any of my 444s.  Heavy for the bore gas checked cast slugs turn that 43 bore rifle into a killer beyond proportion.  The 265 gn Hornady jacketed slug is also a very good performer.  You can plink with just about any 44 caliber cast slug and have a lot of fun with that 444. 

You may need to slug your bore.  Most 444s should shoot .429-.430 jacketed slugs with acceptable accuracy - usually within a couple of inches at 100m.  They style of your rifling also has a bunch to do with accuracy.  Does she wear the 12 groove micro-groove Marlin rifling or the 6 groove Ballard rifling, or something else?  If your bore is a bit oversize, say .430-.432, you're in luck as you won't have to spend any more $ on jacketed bullets (cause they probably won't shoot worth a dang) and you can join the Triple 4 Club and turn yer baby into about the most effective lever action cast shooter around.  As it was said when the 450 Marlin came out - if you have a 444 or a 45-70 don't bother trading up.  jmtcw.

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:15:21 PM »
I have hard cast 355gr. WLN gas check ordered for my .444-.410 with 1-20 twist. I'm hoping they work well.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:36:27 AM »
I do have some 265 Horney flat points. I just got a Handi in 444 and am waiting on the shell plate to get here Sat. then should be ready to load. I just wanted to throw some big lead at something to get a "little" feel that the 45-70 guys are enjoying ;D 
The Sierra guy seemed to be saying the main reason for not using them in the 444 was the throat would be too short to crimp on the cannelure. So that must not be the case with my 44 mag Handi?? I was thinking most Handi barrels seem to be long throated. 
The low velocity rating would be a consideration. If the OAL was not too long I wonder if they could be used for reduced velocity plinking.
The Sierras are .4295 and the Hornady FPs and HP XTPs are .430
I like that big flat exposed lead bullet, main reason for trying them. Thanks, I don't want to blow the barrel up on the first shot ;) 

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:30:35 AM »
How bout some BIG exposed lead tips....as in BTB 355gr gas checked, they shoot excellent at 100yds in my H&R 444. The jacketed bullet in the pic is the 265gr Hornady FP.  ;)

Tim

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 06:19:59 AM »
Tim, that is a pretty BIG exposed lead bullet. I can hardly see the jacket at the bottom.

BTB stand for Bear Tooth Bullet? Where is the best place to get them.

I don't have any experience with gas checked bullets but have been interested in them for a while. I've only shot lead out of pistols and revolvers years ago and hated digging lead out of the barrels. Gas checked lead is prolly a good way to go with big bore rifles and knocking down game animals.
You don't get leading with the gas checks, CORRECT?

That's probably the most resistance my shoulder would want to provide :'(  Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 06:32:51 AM »
Yes, Beartooth Bullets, the only source I know of is their website. No on the leading, never had a problem, just get the biggest you can chamber, these are .432", bore slugs at .4295", they offer a 405gr also, the H&R 1:20" twist will work fine with them as well. FWIW, the 265gr Hornady shot even better. ;)

Tim

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/17

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/19

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/28

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 06:43:51 AM »
By the looks of that penny I'll try the Horns I have. Nice group. Those big lead ones are neat looking. Since it's just for fun now, shooting jugs and such I can get started with what I have. Hope to shoot a pig someday.

Do you have to put the gas checks on yourself or do they come already on the bullets?

Running out of battery, answer is prolly in the links you provided. I'll look there Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
They come all sized, lubed and gas checked, ready to load, be sure to read the additional 444 links I added to my last reply.  ;) You'll want an expander die for the cast bullets, I like the Lyman "M" die.

Tim