Author Topic: .17 HH a success  (Read 587 times)

Offline moorepower

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
.17 HH a success
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:37:54 PM »
I took the .17 HH to the range today and for a 8 lb. trigger it shot decent. The only bugs with the gun are, I did not quite mill enough off of the extractor and after firing, I had to coax the shell out over the extractor with a pliers. I think around .005 off will take care of that. The other issue is that I cut the rim .063, and with a slight concave on the face of the brass, it does close a little snug. I probably need to cut to .065 like the print says. I meant to take an o-ring for the fore end, but forgot, and this one needed it. I shot it 3 ways, with two patches behind the screw, with two patches in front of the screw, and just tightening the fore end. Without any patches, and obvious side contact of the stock in front of the screw, it pushed the group over around 1'. With the patches in front of the screw compared to behind the screw, The p.o.i. would move up and down 2 1/2". The best groups were shot with the two patches behind the screw, floating the barrel, and all three groups were 1 1/4" with the first two shots of all the groups within 1/4". I really wish I had time to do a trigger job, because I can not fire three shots in a row, let alone five shots and shoot a decent group. In my 35+ years of shooting this is by far the worst trigger I have ever pulled. The good news is, I believe with a good trigger and forearm fix, it will be putting 5 in 1/2-3/4" with factory ammo. With handloads, who knows. Also the barrel does not seem to get warm shooting a round about every minute. I will try to post some photos Monday, but it looks like every other Handi with mismatched pallet stocks.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
Re: .17 HH a success
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
You ain't gonna know nothin till ya fix that trigger ::)  I can't shoot a heavy trigger, least not an hit anything very good. Other wise sounds like you're gettin there ;D 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:50:46 AM »
Good to read MP! Glad you got a shooter too!!

Mine shoots great as well under a 1/2" @50 and although it was windy that day appears to be just under 1" @100 too!

On my ejector, I followed Larry's advice and cut most of the chamber with the expector in place and "cocked". Then when the rim cut got close I removed it and finished the chamber. It worked perfectly.

On pops I removed it and went back after with a dremel and a 1/4" drum and sanded it to proper depth. It also works as well as a ejector can.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:59:29 AM »
I stuck my ejector in the mill and made it an extractor! I used the same 5/16" mill to cut the extractor notch, but I forgot to take into account for any case expansion. It is about as easy to set up in the mill, as use a file. I just did not want to go to far so I needed another extractor. I have a couple of Handi rifles with stiff triggers but this one feels worse than the gauge. Shame on me for not fixing it first, but I have been working 78-86 hours a week for the last month. I see the light at the end of the tunnel now, so the trigger will get some work before it comes out again. It very well may get a topper trigger that is around 18-24 oz. before it is done.  P.S. I love the extractor on this gun.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 07:22:40 AM »
For me the difference between extractor and ejector goes beyond flinging brass over my shoulder. That's minor to me I have learned long ago to cover the breech with my hand. It's nearly natural. Where the ejector fails me is the spring looses to the vastly superior mechanical advantage of the true extractor. If the gun is open completely either the casing is out or that case has no rim anymore. ;)

I have converted more than a few to pseudo extractor and it covers the flinging brass. I tried a couple with stiff springs too. It works but......

Glad yours is working so well for ya!!

I hear ya on the work!!  I worked the entire Month of Jan and two weeks of February straight thru!  MOST of those 12 -14 hour days.... All I will say is I ain't as young as I once was and I am glad it's over! 12+ hr days 5 a week is OK... Not 7 for 6 weeks!!  LOL

Go easy when doing the trigger. You do not want to remove material. You really just want to polish. The parts are surface hardened and if you go too far you will experience the "ever changing" trigger weight!!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »
I have a Handi barrel with I believe a 1st generation extractor. I thinks it's the only one I have like it. It clicks when it opens. I like it better than the new ones. I was gonna send it in but I'm afraid they'd give me a new barrel and the trigger is about the best one I have and they would probably adjust it up for me ::)  Maybe next Winter I'll get up the nerve to try a trigger job. I wish I could do some of the stuff you guys can 8)  I liked metal shop in H.S. Wish I'd have applied myself more back then.

Offline moorepower

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »
I have a Caswell plating electroless nickle kit, and I was thinking it may be good medicine for the hammer and trigger after stoning. I am hoping the nickle will be hard and very durable.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »
I have a Caswell plating electroless nickle kit, and I was thinking it may be good medicine for the hammer and trigger after stoning. I am hoping the nickle will be hard and very durable.

Well I will say these parts are pretty cheap.. Maybe order replacements and do one set and see what you get... As long as its not too think it may work...

CW

NRA LIFE Member