Author Topic: Bonded core bullets=more pressure than cup and core style?  (Read 546 times)

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
Bonded core bullets=more pressure than cup and core style?
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
 Just trying to find out for sure, I've heard they create higher chamber pressures than regular bullets.  I would have thought ANY lead core bullet with the same jacket material would all be about the same.

Offline sr sawyer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (70)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bonded core bullets=more pressure than cup and core style?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »
Do not know the answer to your question.   My advice would be that any time you change components is to start over and work up from the bottom.

The assumption that the jacket material is the same could be unforgiving in near max loads.  I once had a starting load in a .243 to pierce primers and almost freeze the bolt and all I did was use a different mfg. bullet of the same weight for the load.

Ken
NRA Life Member

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
 Good advice which I will follow!  *always have!*   This is just something that has my curiosity aroused, there are some load manuals that do not make any distinction as to bullet brand, type, just all lumped together by weight.   

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
Good advice which I will follow!  *always have!*   This is just something that has my curiosity aroused, there are some load manuals that do not make any distinction as to bullet brand, type, just all lumped together by weight.

Nosler/Hornady published data using bonded/standard bullets and I would assume if there was a problem you see a warning or separate data like Speer does with their Trophy Bonded bullet.

If I was changing brand of bullets I would work up loads if I wasn't shooting max load wouldn't bother me using Nolser BT or Accubond with same amount of powder and I'd make sure ogive length was the same.

Offline noylj

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
"Bonded Core" is ad-speak for plated bullets.
The major bullet manufacturers make thick-plated bullets vs. the thin plating on Berry's, Rainiers, and X-Tremes.
Some of these "bonded" bullets have ogives that requires deeper seating, and the deeper seating will raise pressure. Thus, if you are loading Gold Dots, for example, either verify that the seating depth is the same as a jacketed JHP or, best of all, go back to the starting load and work your way (as you are always supposed to do anyway).
However, if you a shooting a pure copper bullet (lead-free), then all previous reloading data is thrown out and you will need the manufacturer's load data

Offline .22-5-40

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
Hello, noylj.  I may be wrong..but I always thought bonded core bullets were cup & core construction..only as with Speer..hot-cores..the jacket was tinned & the core & jacket soldered together.  Some mfg's. use an adhesive for same effect.  In either case, I don't think pressures will be any higher than std. cup& core bullets.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »
Length of bearing surface and composition of the gilding material have more to do with pressure then how the lead core is attached inside.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.