Author Topic: Making Small Scale Field Artillery Wheels  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Building Small Scale Field Artillery Wheels
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 02:25:56 AM »
Right now  all we need is two scales, 1/6 and 1/5.  Larger wheels are readily available from the wheel makers.

Where are the Chinese when you need them?

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »
And even with all the jigs and fixtures, you can make only one size wheel.  You need a complete set of jigs and fixtures for each size you make.

Could some fixtures be multi-use like the one for doing the mortise by changing the plate for a different number of spokes?  I have made fixtures and if a little thought is put into them you can sometime make them adjustable for more than one size....
when I said kit what I meant was the basic mortising is done the final fitting and assembly would be left to the end user if parts were cut to size in a production line say enough to do ten sets of wheels then it might be possible to bring the time and cost down.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannonmaker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.neffcannons.com/
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »
The wheels do take time. Years ago I set the price for 1/3rd scale wheels at $450.00.  People don't buy them, but I don't seem to have time to make extra wheels anyway.
Rick Neff
Neff Cannons & Machine LLC
480 N 1st Street East
PO Box 55
Malta, Idaho 83342              Keeping history alive with the roar of the guns

http://www.neffcannons.com/

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:45 PM »
Man alI can say is "fantastic" :) :) :) :)

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
Max Caliber, Your work is truely a 'Labor of Love'. It is to be commended!

As I started on this thread, I was thinking of Dennis, (one great shot) as well as a number of my Customers who are interested in Field Carriages. There is a demand for someone to fill.

I was complimented to the avatar from 'one great shot'. He is also a 'great' guy to work with.

Michael
                        Home of the Golden Gun

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 04:59:54 PM »
MAX, that was the most interesting 7-8 minutes I have spent in a very long time. Being new to Cannons, I see now why a lot of solid wheel sleds are made.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2012, 02:26:02 AM »
There is indeed a demand for field carriages.  Lots of folks want one but very, very few are willing to pay the price.  I get requests all the time for a field carriage but when I give a price estimate, I never hear back from anyone.
In addition to the wheel issue, there is the ironwork issue.  A properly made #1 field carriage has a whole lot of ironwork that is difficult to make. 
Look at these pictures of Max Caliber's gun.  I lifted these from one of his very early postings here on the forum.  Look at the metal work alone.  Look at the metal to wood fit.  Look at the number of parts. :o
Max, this carriage is an incredible example.  Very obviously, hundreds of hours went into this work of art.

There are ads in "The Artilleryman" magazine for an ironwork set for a #1 carriage.  It cost $3000.  That is for full scale, but smaller scale is the same number of pieces with the same degree of difficulty in each piece.

This was an early attempt by me to replicate an 1841 six pounder on a 1/2 scale carriage.  Please excuse the wheels.  They were my first attempt many years ago.  The barrel and most of the hardware here are made of wood.  That took a long time too, but nothing like making it out of iron.  Even the leveling screw is made of wood.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »
Thanks guys for the compliments. Zulu, Thanks. Yes, the 3/4 scale gun took a long time to construct. All of the cast bronze parts required that an accurate pattern be made, which a lot of times takes more time to make than the finished casting. Then the parts were cast, sometimes more than once to get a good casting, then the casting had to be finished, takes a long time but as you know the building is what it's about, I just happened to wind up with a cannon as the results of all the time spent, which was not work by any stretch of the imagination. I don't have a lot of equipment, so most things I build is by hand. If you see something of mine that looks like it was made on a milling machine, rest assured that it was made with files and other hand tools.

Your first field gun turned out very nice. You should do more of them. The light field guns do have more hardware than most other cannon but I think that's what makes them so interesting.
Max

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 02:54:20 AM »
Here are pictures of a pair of 1/6 scale, number 1 wheels (9.5 inches in diameter) cast in aluminum. I cast them without dish which made them easier to cast and they turned out pretty good. With a good paint job they should look good on a carriage. They were easier to make than wooden wheels of the same scale but still took quiet a bit of time to cast and finish. They weigh a little over 1.75 pounds each. The naves have brass axle bushings.

From left to right, 1/6, 1/5 and 1/4 scale.
Max

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 03:25:40 AM »
Max,
Real nice detail!  You are amazing!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 05:19:54 AM »
Excellent, Max! What did you make the pattern for the wheel out of?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:04 AM »
Excellent work!
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 05:47:15 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. Cannoneer, The wheel pattern was made of Poplar, which at the time was all I had. Thin wood will almost always warp some and the wheel pattern warped a bit but not enough to hurt. If I were to make another spoke wheel pattern, I would use sheet plastic like PVC which can be glued. Although I have had some plastics to warp also.
Max