Author Topic: Copper Plating Cast Bullets?  (Read 942 times)

Offline flmason

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Copper Plating Cast Bullets?
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »
Hi All,
   Was watching some Youtubes and noticed some folks are copper plating cast bullets in various ways.

I realize it's not nearly the thickness of a jacket, but is it enough to allow jacketed level velocities?

Or is it perhaps, just a different form of lube/leading prevention for lead bullets?

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Copper Plating Cast Bullets?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »
You don't need to plate cast bullets to shoot them at jacketed bullet velocities, unless you're shooting them in something crazy big. We've had really good results in the 2600+ fps range. Larger diameter cast bullets seem to handle higher velocities better than the little ones. We've run 375 H&H up into the 2700 fps range with gaschecked cast, but I will admit that I've never even considered doing it with a 223 or 6mm. When you shoot cast bullets really fast, you need to really have all the kinks eliminated from both the gun, and the bullet/load combination. With most handguns, jacketed velocities are easily bested with cast.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
 Plating is a chore! the molds have to be smaller by the amount you intend to add by the plating. You have to heat the solution ,etch the bullets prior to plating( this process also removes any left over oils).Time the immersion in the solution. when done you must dispose of the hazardous material properly. I've pushed Lyman#2 alloy 150 grain bullets to 2400 fps in the 30-30 and a bit faster in the 30-06. A good bore, good bullet fit and decent lube will allow you to exceed 2100 fps in most rifles.Some will do a LOT more!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:32:06 AM »
never done it but have shot many plated pistol bullets. Never seen what they did that a normal cast bullet didnt.
blue lives matter