Author Topic: Illuminated vs. Standard Reticle?  (Read 785 times)

Offline yankees1

• Trade Count: (0)
Illuminated vs. Standard Reticle?
« on: January 07, 2004, 09:55:21 AM »
Which would you prefer for a 45-70 guide gun that will be used strictly for bear in Canada/Alaska, a standard heavy duplex crosshair or an illuminated one such as on the new Leupold or Schmidt and Bender?

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 03:24:16 PM »
I probaby would like an Illuminated reticle.  To me it still maybe hard to see the black reticle on say a black bear.  A red or green illumated reticle should be easy to see.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 04:23:55 AM »
I'd go with a low power scope with the extra heavy cross hairs myself. I'm not one to trust anything illuminated. Anything with batteries can have a tendency to let you down just when you need it most. Heavy cross hairs are easily seen any time there is adequate light to be legal in most all hunting situations. When there isn't enough light to see them most lighted reticle systems over power you and blank out the target so all you see is the cross hair anyway. In case you hadn't noticed I'm not overly fond of the concept.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Illuminated vs. Standard Reticle?
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 06:37:09 AM »
Quote from: yankees1
Which would you prefer for a 45-70 guide gun that will be used strictly for bear in Canada/Alaska, a standard heavy duplex crosshair or an illuminated one such as on the new Leupold or Schmidt and Bender?
..........I have not used a low power scope with a ill. reticle but did try a higher power one and it was more trouble than it was worth to me......the light seemed to make the background at the target seem less visible to me.......might be different in a low power scope in low light but the heavy duplex or a post/duplex in the low power scopes have worked well in woods hunting in my area.....but not for bear...just close shots at some deer.....enjoy the hunt...good luck and good shooting!!

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 03:23:10 PM »
We designed a scope specifically for your needs and I think we have the perfect scope for you. We developed a scope that has a illuminated glass etched reticle. This design illuminates the center of the cross hair only and not the entire reticle like most scopes on the market which causes a heavy glow in the tube that refects back into your eye and will cause problems. Our glass etched reticles when set on the highest setting have almost no tube glow at all. Another thing, you dont have to worry about the battery going dead and loosing your reticle. If the battery goes dead on our scopes you will still have your entire cross hair and it will work just like a standard type reticle scope. Check out the link below for a better description which even shows examples of how it will benifit Bear hunters. If your interested give me a call, I am also expecting the new 4-16x50's to be out of production in the next week and we will have a very low cost introductory sale on them. Here's the link:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/3-9x40IGR.html
MO

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 03:56:49 AM »
What is the light transmission on that scope?

Zachary

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 01:30:28 PM »
I prompted the parts supplier that produces our lenses and they said "light transmission factor is 99.2%-99.5% per lens". I'm still trying to get the overall and will keep you updated. I know there's isnt a scope on the market that can compete with our new 4-16x50AO for the price. I spent alot of time at my friends sporting goods store comparing other brands that were in the same price range and hands down nothing could compare.
MO