Author Topic: Ultra Slug Hunter VS Rem 870 12ga  (Read 1223 times)

Offline jake

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra Slug Hunter VS Rem 870 12ga
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:56:01 AM »
I have been shooting my 870 12ga with a smooth barrel and extended rifle choke tube.It shoot the cheap Win rifled slugs pretty good out to 75 yards.That is as far as I have shot it so far.
I'm thinking about getting a ultra Slug Hunter in the 12 ga since there is more ammo options.

All I hear is how bad the recoil of the 12 is. I cant imagine it could be as much as my Rem 870 12 ga. Am I missing something.

Thanks

jake

Offline yodawagon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ultra Slug Hunter VS Rem 870 12ga
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
oh it kicks pretty good. i have not shot your gun, but after a dozen or so slugs out of my rifled barrel H&R, im pretty beat up.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
oh it kicks pretty good. i have not shot your gun, but after a dozen or so slugs out of my rifled barrel H&R, im pretty beat up.

The synthetic stocked 12ga SB1 Ultra Light Slug Hunter is pretty light compared to the 12ga SB2 Ultra Slug Hunter, H&R doesn't list the ULSH with synthetic stock, I think they're special orders by Dick's or Gander, from previous discussions it's basically a Tracker II with syn stock and scope rail.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraSlug.asp

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tracker2.asp
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ipyrek

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Go with a 20ga, ultra slug hunter. I have an 870, 12ga I used to slug hunt with, only time it gets out now is when the wife uses the 20ga. Lost track how many deer the wife and I have have taken with the 20.
28ga.mod.,20ga.mod.,20ga.full,20ga.USH, 20ga.PardnerPump,20ga.StoegerSxS,17hmr, 223Superlight, 357mag/Max,Marlin 336/30-30

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:32:58 AM »
+1 with ipyrek. The 20ga USH is scary accurate when you find what it likes to shoot. Spikehorn Jr took his second buck in as many years with his 20ga USH 
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 07:12:25 AM »
I am about as staunch a 870 Supporter as anyone you will find. I have a bunch of them... I SOLD MY fancy/expensive 870 rifled slug barrels when I bought my USH's!

I have owned a couple rifled 870 barrels in both 12 and 20 gauges. I have shot deer and hogs with them. One day a man was on the range with a brand new USH. I watched him shoot some very nice groups. I struck up a conversation and was able to shoot his gun. WOW was it accurate! I went directly to the gun store and ordered one in ANY flavor I could get!  It came in with pallet wood stocks and shot like a house afire!!
My best 12ga 870 barrel and its favorite ammo would shoot about 2" groups at 100. That was with a 300+$ cantalever barrel. But you needed a action and stocks as well in order to fire it... So at least 500$ investment for 2'' groups.

That USH was just over $200. (Over 10 years ago) Out of the box shot one hole groups at 100 yards.

Recoil, a wise man here once said "Recoil is in the shoulder of the beholder". Very true words. I never found the USH to have excessive recoil. Compairing the two forearms, I would say the USH handles recoil better.

Buy a USH and enjoy..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wardy

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »
I am gonna have to use that wise tale about "recoil" makes a whole Lotta sense to me. It can't be all that bad, the worst I have ever been kicked is by a 3 1/2" turkey load out of a 870...still carried it hunting.
 Just bought my "1st" USH from a member on the forum, it is my 3rd NEF/H&R....and I am straight chomping the bit to get it scoped and to the range for some brusing (LOL!)

I say get one and go with it, worst you can do is not like it and sale it. I've heard too much about their accuracy not to try one.

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
I own a 12 gauge USH (SB2-980) and in my opinion does not kick that bad.  Now after you shoot like 15 shots that is really when you start to feel the pain in your shoulder but compared to a the 870 the kick is considerably less.  I had a Mossberg 535 shotgun which is some what similar to an 870 and all I know is when I shot my Mossberg 535 it kicked like a mule compared to an H&R. 

However, I have read articles about through the advancement in technology that 20 gauge slug guns are actually more powerful than a 12 gauge at 200 yards; Now personally, I would go with a 12 gauge USH or a 20.  Either way, you are going to be happy with how accurate that gun is but I would defiantly get a good scope for it because the kick on quality slug guns like the USH can sometimes break the scope because the kick on the gun. 

Bottom line is, no matter which gun you get being a 12 or 20 gauge you are going to be amazed at how accurate it is.  Last year, I killed a doe at 200 yards and double lunged it so it did not even go 15 yards.  All I know is, once you start shooting and see what it does on paper at 100 yards you will feel more confident in your slug gun then you ever have felt before.  You can't go wrong with a 20 or 12 gauge.
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline jake

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys.
jake

Offline Rifleman1000

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Go with the USH in 20 gauge and never look back . It is by far the most accurate shotgun ive ever seen . I have killed many deer with the .20 ga. and would have no problem taking a 200 yard shot. I put the nikon slugster scope with the bdc reticle and it is incredible. Go ahead and try it i will bet you sell your 870 .