Author Topic: .223 Ejector to extractor  (Read 879 times)

Offline Ruckmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
.223 Ejector to extractor
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
I am brand new to the forum, but not brand new to handi rifles. I have a .308 and a .223. My .308 is an extractor model and my .223 is an ejector model that always has cases getting stuck in it. I wanted to convert it to an extractor, and I am no gunsmith, so I had read in the FAQ how you can just order the 3 parts from h&r and convert it. Well I called them today and they said the machining of the parts would not allow you to just order the parts and convert it. Is this true? The guy on the phone was not sure of what he was talking about, he said he thought that was what he had been told though. Any ideas?

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: .223 Ejector to extractor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
Welcome.  ;)  Quickdtoo should be along soon as I think he's done more of these than anyone.  The parts can often be obtained at Numrich Gunparts Corp. or Brownells also.  Might check there.  I do know many have been converted and some like the extractor done with the converted style better than the short throw one that extractor original barrels have.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
Hi Welcome! The guy on the phone was right. in Quicks (tims) picture conversion in the faq he used a mill machine to widen the opening and inserts a little bit wider part than the original. He tells what parts (tools from an auto parts store I thought... I may be wrong didn't read it for a while ) you need to buy to do it yourself if you can.
The conversion works VERY good, I had one of mine modified like that and the case pushes up farther so you can grab it better than my regular factory extractors. I did not do it myself but I very much like the end result. No more stuck cases!   thejanitor

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:05:34 PM »
I am getting ready to convert my 44 Mag barrel to extractor using the info posted in the sticky.  It looks like a really simple project
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Ruckmanite

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
Well, I read the entire FAQ before I called and this statement from the FAQ is what I was going on.....

"If you just want a factory style extractor, all you have to order is the appropriate extractor claw, the cam extractor and the extractor spring, all are listed in the Handi Owner's Manual at H&R, the roll pins from an ejector will work for the extractor."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:31:45 PM »
Well, I read the entire FAQ before I called and this statement from the FAQ is what I was going on.....

"If you just want a factory style extractor, all you have to order is the appropriate extractor claw, the cam extractor and the extractor spring, all are listed in the Handi Owner's Manual at H&R, the roll pins from an ejector will work for the extractor."

Welcome!! Read the section before that, a factory ejector underlug is machined different than an extractor underlug, those parts are indeed the only parts needed for a factory style extractor, you can use the original ejector as an extractor if it's modified with the addition of a small spring between the cam and ejector, but the underlug still has to be cut to accept the extractor cam first.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,134289.msg1098510727.html#msg1098510727
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ruckmanite

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »
Well, all that is over my head. If it was just replacing prts, that I would attempt, but making modifications to the ejector is more than I feel comfortable doing. I will have to see if I can ship it to h&r and see how much they will charge me to fix it. The guy at h&r told me of a repair center in Illinois I can ship it too.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
To my knowledge H&R doesn't do the conversion, but any gunsmith can.

Tim

Offline Ruckmanite

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
Well then the problem becomes firstly finding a gunsmith in my area (central Arkansas) that will do it and that I trust to void my warranty for me and also if they are going to charge me more to do it than I paid for my rifle lol

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »
A few years ago, we got into this same discussion.  I had a .45-70 ejector that I hated and another member mentioned he disliked his extractor.  I asked if he wanted to trade.  We did and both barrels fit perfectly and we were very happy campers.  Why don't you post an ad in "Want to Trade".....who knows, you may make a deal.  A lot of folks don't like extractors and that's all they're making.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »
If you want a simple fix for the ejector, replace the larger of the two roll pins with a 5/32 X 7/8" roll pin.The longer pin engages more of the slots in the side of the receiver.I have fixed several with complete success. I now use the longer roll pin in all of the H & R's that I take apart.
It is now in the FAQ's BTW
Happy Trails
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 04:58:26 AM »
Doing the ejector tune may be all that's necessary to eliminate the sticking brass, my 223 used to stick but not after the ejector tune, the BB did the trick!  ;)

If you want a simple fix for the ejector, replace the larger of the two roll pins with a 5/32 X 7/8" roll pin.The longer pin engages more of the slots in the side of the receiver.I have fixed several with complete success. I now use the longer roll pin in all of the H & R's that I take apart.
It is now in the FAQ's BTW
Happy Trails

That will only make the ejector function properly, won't make an extractor out of it or help with sticking brass.

Tim

Offline Ruckmanite

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »
Well honestly, I would rather convert it to the extractor style like my. 308....I like that better than the flying brass from the ejector lol

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
See the permanent and temporary conversions in the FAQs, they won't help with sticking brass, but prevent flying brass.

Tim